bedroom system 2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 4WD, Apr 18, 2007.

1. 4WD

4WD

Heard some speakers this morning - the totem mites. These are amazing little things for only £500 and half the size of a shoe box! Quite impressed. Even the metal domes sound like soft ones.

Then I heard the totam model one's. These sounded a lot more full, larger scale with low end extension. Mind you at £1500 and double the size they should be better! The dynaudio midbass is really superb on these.

I have been told I must also compare the leema xen and proac response one's, as both apparently have a clearer top end than the model one's. BUT I suspect the low end must be worse, compared to that lovely dyn driver on the totems. Of course there is also the dynaudio range themselves to consider.

Any other ideas? Amps considered so far are lavardin or more likely sugden a21a (series 2)

Thanks

4WD, Apr 18, 2007
  2. 4WD

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Apr 18, 2007
  3. 4WD

Garmt

Totem Model One's need lots pf power... Not good with Lavardin and Sugden.

Garmt, Apr 18, 2007
  4. 4WD

JCL

Did you not get a chance to listen to the little Arro's ? I think they would be great fun for a second system and are an easier load than most Totems. Garmt is right about the Model One's needing lots of power to sound their best. However, they can sound very good indeed with the right amplification but it'd hardly be a bedroom system anymore.

If you're set on monitors and stands have a look at these - http://www.wlm-loudspeakers.com/indexengl.html I haven't heard them myself but reading the reviews, they seem to be exceptional. Very easy to drive too. I should imagine paring them with a Lavardin or Sugden would be impressive to say the least...

JCL, Apr 18, 2007
  5. 4WD

4WD

Amplification could be something beefier, perhaps a B60 bryston or something else if it's really required. As long as the speakers and amp are less than 2k max I'm open to ideas.

4WD, Apr 18, 2007
Ask a Question