Bedroom System - Any thoughts???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Slaphead, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Slaphead

Slaphead Lurking less

Not strictly Hi-Fi but I've been considering getting some music into the bedroom (not a large room 3m x 3.5m max). Budget £300 max (less if possible)

The obvious choice would seem to be the little Denon UDM31 with perhaps Wharfdale diamonds as space is tight.

I could can the idea and (heresy I know) use a portable CD player hooked up to a computer Sub - Sat as I've got both currently doing storage duties but the end result is going to be a mess. Also, having experimented with the portable CD player through my main system I know it to be truly awful

Just wondering if there are any other real alternatives to the denon I should consider???

Cheers

Slaphead, Mar 12, 2004
  2. Slaphead

sideshowbob Trisha

Cookiemonster's Sony midi system (can't remember the model now, I'm sure he'll still be responding to PMs). It's really impressive. A 70WPC digital amp, tuner, tape deck, CD, not the worst speakers you'll ever hear. About £150 I think. I want to hear it driving some serious speakers with my vinyl set up in front of it, I honestly think it would seriously compete with many considerably more expensive amps.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 12, 2004
  3. Slaphead

fono

Yep!She's tall, long legged and blond

fono, Mar 12, 2004
  4. Slaphead

Joolsburger

I have that ( or a similar) Sony jobbie in my kitchen and it's great for what it is but my brother in laws Denon is better (he uses little mission speakers)

For the money the Denon is a no brainer and richers and various web places do it for 170.

Joolsburger, Mar 12, 2004
  5. Slaphead

maddog 2

I've got the DM-31 in the bedroom with Mission M70i's on wall brackets.

Just the job. Good sound. Small box, Remote.

maddog 2, Mar 12, 2004
  6. Slaphead

Slaphead Lurking less

Got one already but she's due for an unpgrade because of the cost of accessories to curb the incompatable acoustics :D

Had a feeling the consensus would be for the denon. I do however remember Rory talking about a sharp system with a digital amp which he reckons outperforms the denon. Maybe I'll do a search on it.

Ian - I've only ever owned 3 things by sony and 2 packed up just outside the warranty period. Thanks for the idea but sony is definitely out.

Slaphead, Mar 12, 2004
  7. Slaphead

sideshowbob Trisha

Fair enough. Definitely worth checking out one of the digital options (I've heard good things about Sharp's stuff too). More welly than most midi amps, gives you all sorts of speaker possibilities.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 12, 2004
  8. Slaphead

joel Shaman of Signals

The little Sharp systems (only heard in shop demos I'm afraid) have sounded rather good. Well seeking out and finding a suitable pair of speakers for IMHO :D

joel, Mar 12, 2004
  9. Slaphead

Slaphead Lurking less

Now now. You saw the budget. I have to admit they look very nice and all that, but all things considered probably a touch excessive for what I have in mind.
    :tempted:

Slaphead, Mar 12, 2004
  10. Slaphead

sane4sure

Second hand Teac Reference 300 system does the business for me!

sane4sure, Mar 12, 2004
  11. Slaphead

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

We have an active speaker system in the bedroom and an ipod dock, plug it in, thousands of tunes without the mess.

garyi, Mar 12, 2004
  12. Slaphead

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Hi andy, how about relegating your Teac Ref300 system to your bedroom,plonk some mission m71i's on them (£50 richersounds) save up a lil bit and splash out on some better electronics to partner your Acoustic Energy evo1s? This way, you will be upgrading your main music maker while putting your old 1 to good use in the old bedroom:MILD: some music in the ol' bedroom can really help get the ladies in the mood for some lovin, i highly recomend the 2nd craig david album which has some very smooth tunes which do the trick for my girlfriend:D

I would recomend tracking down a Marantz cd6000ose le+ pm7200 which shouldnt set u back any more than £350 if u go 2nd hand.I may still sell my pm7200 when the Ki sig version is finally stable and released!A few peeps whjo bought 1 had problems with theirs and had to send em bk,im glad i dint get my wallet out when it was availible online!:)

Ultra:D

Ultrasonic, Mar 12, 2004
  13. Slaphead

Rory satisfied

Cookiemonsters system is a Sony CMTCPX1. We sell them at work and i personally am distinctly unimpressed. The weak link are unquestionably the speakers, a problem that can't really be practically overcome due to proprietary connections used on the speaker wires.

the sharp I recommend is a SDEX220. I still think its a barnstorming little system. When you consider that you can shove the whole lot on the wall too, it makes a lot of sense. If you can find one lurking, the old SDNX10h was a great system too- it was £1000 2 years ago so could track down a 2nd hand one for £250.

Rory, Mar 13, 2004
  14. Slaphead

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

:chunder:

bottleneck, Mar 13, 2004
  15. Slaphead

sideshowbob Trisha

Just goes to show something or other. I think it sounds absolutely fine. I even liked the speakers.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 13, 2004
Ask a Question