Been unfaithful too (road bike lovers only)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sir Galahad, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

I too was hit by the bike-upgrade epidemic. So I thought I'd let the world know.

Isn't it a beauty ?

[​IMG]

I had to wait 6 weeks but it was worth it. It arrived at the end of July, just in time for my vacation.

I've logged just over 1400 km so far and absolutely love it. Riding it makes you feel 10 years younger, especially when going uphill or standing on the pedals.

The old bike had served me well for over 18 years . It was Reynolds 753, which in those days was a real good frame. But I have to admit carbon does make a huge difference.

The wheels are not new, I still have not decided what to get. And I have to let the Visa card cool off for a while.

Sir Galahad, Sep 6, 2005
  2. Sir Galahad

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Thats a beautiful bike sir galaghad. I bet it goes like the clappers.

bottleneck, Sep 6, 2005
  3. Sir Galahad

rudolph hucker rude ol --cker

wow nearly as nice as my old chopper

rudolph hucker, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Sir Galahad

rudolph hucker rude ol --cker

rudolph hucker, Sep 6, 2005
  5. Sir Galahad

It sleeps in my apartment at night, and stays within my FOV at all times when out, you bet.

Sir Galahad, Sep 6, 2005
  6. Sir Galahad

andi

Wow! Ace machine.Reckon those Reynolds carbon clinchers is what you need :D

andi, Sep 6, 2005
  7. Sir Galahad

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mmmmm carbon fibre.....
    lovely looking bike there sir g.

julian2002, Sep 6, 2005
  8. Sir Galahad

Thanks Julian, I like yours too, but I'm too old for mtb (scared of crashes and scratches). I particularly like your gear shifting solution. I wish they had that for road bikes, but the weight penalty is too high. This new bike of mine is 2 kg lighter than my old one at just under 8 kg, and it makes such a difference :)

Sir Galahad, Sep 6, 2005
  9. Sir Galahad

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS !!

Aren't Carbon frames a touch fragile though?
    I mean are they up to the pounding of "normal" streets?
    I know Carbon wheels for motorcycles are not recommended for street use.

GTM

GTM, Sep 6, 2005
  10. Sir Galahad

julian2002 Muper Soderator

thorn started out doing audax, touring and tandems and do a range using the rohloff hubs - although as you say the weight penalty is quite large if you are talking about an 8 kilo bike. you're probably looking at an extra 700g or so. however you could just eat a bit less ;)
    carbon fibre is light and strong however if you do break it then it's almost impossible to repair. however on a road bike any impact that'll break it will probably kill the rider anyway so it's not such an issue as with mtb's.
    might be worth looking at the shimano nexxus or the sram hub hear they are only 8 gears but they are lighter iirc.

julian2002, Sep 6, 2005
  11. Sir Galahad

I've lost almost 7 kg (1.10 stone) over the last 18 months to get back in shape in anticipation for a new bike. I can hardly eat less. I already cut bread, butter, jam, sugar. I also need extra energy as I'm entering a 218 km outing next saturday (Paris - Honfleur in Normandy), and a 330 km one on the 17/18th (Paris - Mont St Michel, with an overnight stopover though ;) ).

And I shall certainly not relinquish my daily half-bottle of wine. :eek: Life is too short.

As for carbon fiber being prone to breaking, my Colnago dealer says it does happen in the event of a severe crash. He added that Colnago does repair their frames. Which remains to be verified.

I do not race and try not to take unnecessary risks. I find that I'm much more careful going downhill than 10 or 15 years ago, and I tend to leave the pack when the action gets too hot. I only hope that carbon ages well, which also remains to be seen. And I'm keeping my steel frames as a backup and for winter use.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
    Sir Galahad, Sep 6, 2005
  12. Sir Galahad

andi

Early carbon frames were less than reliable. Weak points were the bonded joints as the lugs, bottom bracket shell etc were made of alloy. Sir G's frame is a monocoque so does not have this weakness. Should be good for several years. I have seen a brand new Carbon Trek Madone that was a total write off though. The chain had come off and got wedged between the chainstay and the chainset. Rider tried to continue pedaling and gouged almost completely through the chainstay :(
    I was asked to repair this but i could see no way :confused:

andi, Sep 6, 2005
  13. Sir Galahad

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

''chainsuck"

my old Orange Clockwork (an MTB I know) used to suffer from that.

It is strange how certain bikes tend to suck the chain into that nook and some do not.

I had to fit an ''anti chain suck device" - or a metal plate if you like!! to stop it from re-occuring.

Sorry to polute the thread with talk of MTBs but, its vaguely relevant :)

Anyway, its a gorgeous bike. I like the fact that they have not painted the carbon fibre. It looks so nice in its raw form its a bit of a shame to paint it.

Chris

bottleneck, Sep 6, 2005
  14. Sir Galahad

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

That surely is a thing of beauty. It exudes "speed" in a way that no mountain bike does (like a ferrari next to a landcruiser really). Gorgeous.

I-S, Sep 6, 2005
  15. Sir Galahad

Actually, you can have it painted to any of their standard finishes (Colnagos are notoriously colourful, very Italian really, they even have one with Leonardo da Vinci designs, and an all-red, Ferrari-marked one, on the show-off side maybe), but I chose to keep it natural, and even obtained to have some of the writings removed, or rather not applied in the first place.

Sir Galahad, Sep 7, 2005
  16. Sir Galahad

ditton happy old soul

About five years ago I had a 'significant' birthday and celebrated with a new bike. I still have the 'faithful' double-butted 531, brazed-lugged Daxes Galaxy in the shed, but have been enjoying the Diamondback Lakeside hybrid, with all the brakes & gear changing on the hanlde bar and the gee-wiz of a front disk brake and the front and seat shocks all making life on Edinburgh roads a whole lot better. But I still sneak a sideways glance at the Galaxy, a disgarded sweetheart with whom (which!) passion was shared in youthful excess ...

ditton, Sep 7, 2005
  17. Sir Galahad

Heavymental

Yeah lovely bike Galahad, and good decision on the finish. Colnagos can look pretty garish but that looks pure quality. Good luck with the rides, went to Honfleur and the Mont a few weeks ago and its lovely scenery around there. Honfleur is a nice town too. Did my first 100k ride last bank holiday and was pretty wasted so good luck with doing double that!

Heavymental, Sep 7, 2005
  18. Sir Galahad

Thanks for the wishes. Don't know if we'll have much time to watch the scenery along the way, as riding in a pack requires all your attention at all times. But we'll surely take a good look after we get off the machine.

I was actually challenged to do these rides by a friend of mine who had noticed I was conspicuously absent from the pack from January to May. I took up the challenge, resumed training on May 23rd, ordered the new bike in June, and have accumulated almost 4000 km since then. Needless to say the first 3 or 4 weeks were pretty tough.

The most positive side is I feel so much better, both physically and mentally.

And now they want me to enter Bordeaux-Paris next spring ... :D

Sir Galahad, Sep 7, 2005
  19. Sir Galahad

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Two stupid questions:
    1: can a road bike come with straight, rather than dropped, handlebars? I feel really unsafe using dropped handlebars due to the "likely to go over the handlebars" feeling

2: can you drop a roadbike down a (small!) kerb, or will you shag the wheels totally?

These are the things that put me off riding one (my tractor has hybrid tyres on it, ie, more road than "knobbly") - if I can get away with (2) on a roadbike, and have normal handlebars...

Nice bike btw :)

domfjbrown, Sep 7, 2005
  20. Sir Galahad

Markus S Trade

Yes, any bike shop can do it, or you can sometimes order it that way.

Depends on the rims you are using. The very slim and slippery ones are quite fragile. It also depends on the number of spokes and your weight. Talk to the bike shop for advice.

Markus S, Sep 7, 2005
Ask a Question