Before I revisit my dealer...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Hiawatha, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Hiawatha

Hiawatha

System: Rotel 965BX, Pioneer A400, Bi-wired Linn Sekrits on dedicated stands.

Music: mostly rock and pop, some classical, in fact pretty eclectic.

Can you help me put the 'informed' in 'informed decision'?

Although my system is dated, it still sounds good to me. However, the drawer on the 12 year old CD player is getting a bit unreliable and doesn't open on cue.

In a discussion on a cycling(!) forum local experts suggested:
    1. get the dealer to fix the player (they are willing to give it a go)
    2. ditch it and get something more modern

When i put the system together, I started with the Rotel CD player, a NAD3020i and Mission 780s - too enclosed sounding.

Then I got some old AR18s which were more detailed but rather bass-light and things were still a bit slow sounding. My next step was to replace the amp with the A400 and then the AR18s with the Linns. This system has kept me happy ever since

So, what do people think? Is it worth spending a few bob fixing the Rotel? Or should I spend a lot more bob on a new CD player? If the latter, should I get a new amp and then what am I going to tell the wife? All views appreciated :)

Hiawatha, Sep 30, 2004
  2. Hiawatha

The Devil IHTFP

Find out if it's economically viable to fix - i.e. get a quote, then decide.

The Devil, Sep 30, 2004
  3. Hiawatha

Heavymental

Welcome aboard Hiawatha ;)

Heavymental, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Hiawatha

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

With something of that age, Id take it to a TV repairman to get it fixed.. just because the repair will be cheap.

I should think you could get a direct second hand replacement for 80 quid if the repair quotes are too high.

bottleneck, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Hiawatha

cjm

rotel 965bx

I've 'played with' a very similar set up to you Hiawatha - same Rotel, same amp and different speakers - floorstanders (Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3) and standmounts (Quad 11Ls). I ended up using the Rotel as a transport for a dac to up the sound quality, but I've got to say that the Rotel has stood the test of time remarkably well - perhaps not as well as the A400 which is real favourite of mine. If you have a real affection for it, get it repaired - provided the price is right. Otherwise, as already pointed out, they do go for about £60 on ebay. If you don't have strong emotional ties to the Rotel, it could be time to look around for a good second hand cd player. Though still very good, there's lots of competition in newer second hand cd players - you can pick up a decent sounding budget Sony player (xe530) for around £40 for example, or Marantz (e.g. 6000 ) for a bit more. If you're able, it might be good to demo a few good budget players (Marantz 5400 c£90 in Richer Sounds) to see if they offer you something as good as or better than the Rotel.

As mentioned above, if you stick with the Rotel and want to lift the performance in the future, it makes a very good transport.

cjm, Oct 2, 2004
Ask a Question