Behringer cross-overs etc

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Parkandbike, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Parkandbike

Parkandbike

New thread as I did not want to trespass on La Toilette's threat in DIY.

I'm using Quad ESL63s and Gradient SE63s. For various reasons I'd like to try replacing the Gradient actve crossover with another. There seem to be plenty of Behringers on flea bay and this prompts a couple of questions

- The Behringers seem relatively cheap, but are they any good? The Gradient crossover tends to rob the ESL63s of some of their magic, so I'd like something that does not.

- Most of the active crossovers I've seen have balanced socketry, whereas my some of my kit has only RCA connectors. Is this an insuperable; problem or can one simply use a coverter.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/comments.

Parkandbike, Jun 28, 2009
  2. Parkandbike

Arg

all the behringer manuals are online and each shows how to hook up to unbalanced cables.

Arg, Jul 3, 2009
  3. Parkandbike

Parkandbike

thanks- must have missed that bit

Parkandbike, Jul 3, 2009
  4. Parkandbike

Smithy

Do you mean the Cheapo Behringer CX3400 cossovers or the DCX 2496,the only review I could find on the CX3400 wasnt very complimentary.You might find that a modified DCX is better than the Gradient but it would be an expensive experiment.Maybe borrow someones Ashly XR1001 or Bryston B10(I think)to judge if it is worthwhile.I picked up an Ashly XR2001 secondhand to experiment with,lacks flexibility compared to a DCX but easier for the likes of me to set up.

Smithy, Jul 3, 2009
  5. Parkandbike

Werner

You are aware that the Gradient crossover includes shaping circuitry specifically designed for the SW63?

Werner, Jul 14, 2009
  6. Parkandbike

Parkandbike

Smithy, Werner

Sorry for any delay in responding to your posts: I've been away.

Yes, the penny eventually dropped that the Gradient must have some bass lift to compensate for the fact that the woofers are mounted as a dipole :shame:. I could try one of the more expensive cross-overs with equalisation, but converting from analogue to digital and back to analogue does not appeal to me. Looks as if I'll be sticking with the Gradient cross-over (at least for the low-pass duty).

Best wishes

Parkandbike, Jul 14, 2009
Ask a Question