bel canto hiss

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Feb 27, 2006.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

I've posted something like this before, but it's still quirky: why should the bel canto evo4 make my speakers hiss?

set-up is as per sig. Its now balanced and the evo4 is bridged. what causes hiss when the cd dont spin, and why should I hear the music when the vol is turned all the way down?

the music sounds great when the music plays, and the hiss is only audible when I'm quite close to the speakers, but hey, is hiss the new black??

ditton, Feb 27, 2006
  2. ditton

KUB3 ciao

I had a pretty expensive amp which hissed like a cornered cat. Various cables and power leads made no difference at all. I sold it in the end. Nothing more annoying than noisey equipment.

KUB3, Feb 27, 2006
  3. ditton

Elberoth

Mine was dead quiet on 87dB speakers.

Elberoth, Feb 27, 2006
  4. ditton

Godfather

I get the same hiss/white noise on my new Evo 6, also run as balanced and bridged. It's there all the time and only audible within a foot of the tweeters. The Bryston was silent, well almost.

Though I don't hear any music when either the Decade or preamp is muted, just the hiss.

Godfather, Feb 27, 2006
  5. ditton

ditton happy old soul

epos es22 speakers are 87db and 6 ohms

ditton, Feb 27, 2006
  6. ditton

Godfather

My PMC TB2+ are 90dB and 8 ohms, if that's any help.

Godfather, Feb 27, 2006
  7. ditton

Flexo

my eVo2i hisses and crackles in one channel when not being used, but then it is very poorly, under the weather...probably just plain fooked. :(

Flexo, Feb 27, 2006
  8. ditton

ditton happy old soul

dont think anything is crocked, just wondering.

btw, I'm using 2x5m runs of Goertz speaker cabling: "characteristic impedance ... of 2 to 4 ohms .. Impedance matching primarily improves the clarity .. " blah blah

ditton, Feb 27, 2006
  9. ditton

KUB3 ciao

P.S my noisey amp was a valve design.

Sounds like Belcanto are pretty dire.

KUB3, Feb 27, 2006
  10. ditton

Godfather

No difference in hiss whether I'm using Townshend Isolda (which is basically the same as your Goertz, I think) or Kimber 8TC.

Godfather, Feb 27, 2006
  11. ditton

ditton happy old soul

well, no, that's not what is being said. no complaints in the way they amplify the signal and grip the speakers - I like the bel canto v.much.

its a quibble, as though there is an excess of ommph.

ditton, Feb 27, 2006
  12. ditton

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Kub's a wind up artist I feel, I mean after Bryston storming showing in the pmc room. I feel the need to dump all the amps we retail and go 'dry'
    Said before sir, I've only had one that hissed, it also hummed, noisy transformer replaced under warranty.
    If the problem lies in the signal tansmission (Ie its amplifing the signal/hiss given to it, maybe upstream is at fault?)
    Though you've just gone to Balanced, does it do it with single ended Pete?. Try pushing in the rca buttons even when using a balaced lead. Also check out the manual it does a section relating to this.
    If I so desire I can place head into the drivers @ 114db on a zero bits track Zip all.
    Even had no noise at the show, and the on line mains grunge at the marriot is worse than a naim demo with sl 2's

wadia-miester, Feb 28, 2006
  13. ditton

Godfather

Just tried my Evo 2 Gen II which is slightly quieter than the Evo 6 but still not silent. Re mains I've tried a Cardas GR, Nordost El Dorado, straight into the wall socket and via a Ben Duncan Pure Power. None makes a difference to the slight hiss. Tried the RCA/balanced button as well, no change.

WM, did you get my PM?

Godfather, Feb 28, 2006
  14. ditton

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

my evo2i is totally silent

<goes to the mains plug and switches it on>

...erm, nope. still silent.

try unplugging the fridge freezer, lights etc.

lAmBoY, Feb 28, 2006
  15. ditton

ditton happy old soul

not at home, so will do some twiddling with buttons when I am. however, WM notes two possibilities, to paraphrase:

1) its a 'Friday' and some transformers do and some dont
    2) its upstream - the evo is doing its job in amplifying an upstream signal.

I wonder whether its a DaxDecade/evo4 thing.

its a puzzle not a downer though, as net effect when in listening position is excellent

ditton, Feb 28, 2006
  16. ditton

johnhunt recidivist

dunno mine hisses a tiny bit. i'd thought it was down to the pre.

johnhunt, Feb 28, 2006
  17. ditton

Godfather

Tried different balanced interconnects - no difference. Tried single ended interconnects and I get a hum through the speakers with both the Evo 6 and Evo 2 with the XLR button depressed. Choosing 'RCA' eliminates the hum and I'm left with the same slight hiss. It's been said many times that one should select 'XLR' even when using the single ended inputs, so something isn't quite right here. A group loop problem perhaps?

Godfather, Feb 28, 2006
  18. ditton

KUB3 ciao

Perhaps dire was a little ott a word to use. However they certainly seem overly sensitive to noise or exhibit patchy reliability. Neither is an ideal attribute for rather expensive equipment. I presume this is why some Belcanto's are modified. (I wonder how much this patch up work costs and whether the warranty or resale are badly affected also). Unfortunatley I've been in this position before, so understand the annoyance. Might be easier to sell up and move on if an immediate and free solution is not available. Money and deep well, spring to mind.

KUB3, Feb 28, 2006
  19. ditton

Godfather

I'm not that easily annoyed. The Bel Canto amps sound superb. My listening distance is 12 feet from the speakers, not 12 inches, so the slight noise is not an issue in practice. But total silence would be nice if it's possible.

Godfather, Feb 28, 2006
  20. ditton

Flexo

What is this rca/xlr button you talk of? Is that something just on the pre powers?

Flexo, Feb 28, 2006
Ask a Question