Bel Canto mk ref 1000 mk1 to 2 upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by realsoftmonkey, Mar 28, 2009.

1. realsoftmonkey

realsoftmonkey

I just upgraded my Bel Canto's via Bill@Aanvil audio. Took two days and came back Mark 2's with new boxes, manuals, case markings etc. I was very impressed with the service.

4 days in, the amps are night and day to the previous mk 1's and the results were far better than I expected. Best £1350 upgrade I've ever done. I'm not an audio reviewer so keeping it simple, they are like supercharged mk 1's. Everything those had is simply increased. Never have I had a faster or more dynamic set up.
    I suspect the power supply upgrade has a lot to do with the dramatic difference in dynamics. These are very special little amps, I'm left feeling class D is starting to prove itself a serious contender to class A. Effortless power and super fast, punchy sound. Similar in some respects to a pair of single ended 18 watt triode amps I once owned, bit without the problem of power and imaging(which is why I sold them). i read the Stereophile review which put the mk 2's in the top 3 reviewers fav amps of all time and I have to say I haven't heard better apart from some massive krell mono's and the audio research ref 210's, both are 3-4 times the price, size and running costs.

realsoftmonkey, Mar 28, 2009
  2. realsoftmonkey

oscar23

I'm considering these or maybe a used TacT Millenium fed clean from a transport. Thanks for the head's up, sounds very impressive.

oscar23, Mar 28, 2009
  3. realsoftmonkey

realsoftmonkey

i really can't recommend them enough, everyone is really impressed with these

realsoftmonkey, Mar 30, 2009
  4. realsoftmonkey

Class A

Glad it worked out for you M8 and was good to see you again at the show.

Enjoy and keep in touch. ( cable!!!!! ) :D

Class A, Mar 31, 2009
  5. realsoftmonkey

hifinutt

yes, thanks for that . i thought about doing the mk 1 to mk 2 but instead got coherant to modify my refs and am also very pleased with them. considering getting the pre 3 done now

your upgrade seems very good value considering the weak pound

hifinutt, Apr 18, 2009
Ask a Question