Bel Canto SEP2 pre-amp (upgraded to SEP1))

For Sale: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by alanbeeb, Jan 15, 2006.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I have a pristine example of this very rare valve pre-amp for sale.

It is from the generation prior to Bel Canto's Digital amplification, and uses two 6922 valves in SET mode for the gain stage (I think).

It has 4 line level RCA inputs, tape in/out and a UNITY GAIN input for Home Theatre integration.

Volume level is displayed in -db by red LEDs on the front panel, above the switches for inputs and mute & standby controls. It has 'soft-start' from standby to prolong valve life.

It also has classy solid aluminium remote control.

I bought this amp 3 or 4 months ago to use with a Tact SDA power amp, however a pair of speakers tempted me and I bought them instead of the SDA power amp and am therefore still using my integrated Tact SDA amp, and so no longer need the pre-amp. I tried it with the SDA power amp on home demo and was very impresssed with its transparency and elegant open sound.

The previous owner of this amp bought it in the USA when he lived there. He then had it upgraded from SEP-2 to SEP-1 spec, and the voltage converted by the Bel Canto factory to 240V when he moved to the UK, and I have all the receipts for this work.

Details of the SEP-1 and SEP-2 preamps can be found here:
    http://www.goldmanaudio.com/goldman/productmfg.asp?sku=9

The original price of this amp was US $2495 + $1250 for the upgrade.

I'm looking for only £600. I have all original manuals, packaging and remote. Demo possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alanbeeb, Jan 15, 2006
  2. alanbeeb

I've had a few questions about this pre-amp, and the upgrade from SEP2 to SEP1 status.

The SEP2 has single-ended RCA in/out. The SEP2 has a set of XLR in/out sockets..... however, since these preamps operate in single-ended-triode mode, balanced operation does not apply and these XLR connections are therefore unbalanced.

The upgrade from SEP2 to SEP1 did not include the unbalanced XLR connections.

alanbeeb, Jan 30, 2006
  3. alanbeeb

dunkyboy

Actually, according to this review the inputs on the stock SEP-1 are in fact balanced, they just get "de-balanced" before being fed into the amp proper. The outputs are indeed unbalanced.

BTW, you have PM. :)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 31, 2006
  4. alanbeeb

Provisionally but confidently sold.

alanbeeb, Feb 5, 2006
  5. alanbeeb

hifienthusiast

Alan

Did Duncan buy the Bel Canto pre amp for his ATC Active 20? I'm just curious. I'd like to know Duncan's view of the pre amp if he's the new owner. I was searching for a remote control valve preamp at a reasonable price a few months ago without much luck. If I had seen yours, I would have been very interested.

Hon

hifienthusiast, Feb 6, 2006
Ask a Question