Benz Micro LP Ebony

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Aug 29, 2008.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The cartridge arrived safely on Wednesday, and is already sounding absolutely superb despite being played via my allegedly "amusical" Whest PS .20 / Naim NAC 52 / ATC SCM 100A SLs.

The suspension needs 40 hrs to run-in, and it did sound a bit bright to start with, but is now much more the thing after five or six.

I've lusted after this cartridge for a few years now, having heard an MO9 in a friend's system many moons ago. There's a brand-new model out called the LPS, hence bargains may be available on the old one.

Try Audiofreaks if interested, although I may have bagged their last one. But be prepared to endure highly unprofessional criticism of brands which they don't stock. My Visa card number was recited through clenched teeth :)

The Devil, Aug 29, 2008
  2. The Devil

robM

Excellent news. The Ebony is a Class act. Is the Ebony LP about 0.4mV in output?

I know how it feels. For my main system I went from a ZYX R1000Airy 2 to the ZYX 4D (universe) and what an upgrade... Oh and if you get a chance give the new Whest PS.30R a spin... it blows the sox off the PS.20 and anything near £5000 and I'm not even joking. I too am an ATC active fan. Can't live without them. If (when) I get the space, I going to get a pair of active 200s, then I can smile :)

robM, Aug 29, 2008
  3. The Devil

scott_01

Devil

Congratulations, it certainly looks like a nice cart (indeed it should be for the RRP). What were you running before this?

scott_01, Aug 29, 2008
  4. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Rob,

Concerning the ATCs, I was told the system is only suitable for Rock music!

LP output is 0.34mV. I know it shouldn't matter, but the thing looks so, so cool:

[​IMG]

Hi Scott, I had a Transfiguration Spirit III.

Regards,

The Devil, Aug 30, 2008
  5. The Devil

robM

Concerning the ATCs, I was told the system is only suitable for Rock music! What idiot said that?

0.34mV is cool. My Glider L2 is 0.42mV on the supplied data sheet. I've used it into the .30R and it rocks!.. not quite like the ZYX universe... I think once you get into the super cartridge league, there is not much in it. I love the Benz sound but was offered the ZYX at a great deal in New York when visiting a friend.

robM, Aug 30, 2008
  6. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

What idiot said that?

It was a bloke called Branko Bozic, at Audiofreaks, a dealer near London. He was extremely uncomplimentary about the entire range of Whest phono stages, also. I was assured that these views were based on his "extensive experience" with all this equipment! This was all before I'd given him my Visa details, too, and he came pretty close to losing the deal because of his belmtardery. I think some dealers will say or try anything in order to generate uncertainty, and a future sale.

I guess I should check out the .30R?

The Devil, Aug 30, 2008
  7. The Devil

robM

yes.. Branko! I had a few words with him at a show a few years ago. He sells conrad johnson. I told him I had a pair of 150ASL and he said they where - well you get the idea. I have met so many dealers over the years that will just rubbish your system without knowing one bit about it. I recently traded in my PS.20 for a ex-demo 30R. I tried all sorts of stuff. EAR, Clearaudio, Manley and a couple of others but none of them did it. The 30R is so detailed and musical at the same time. It really suits the ATCs resolving power. The unit looks near mint. I gave Whest a call out of the blue - and managed to do a deal.

robM, Aug 30, 2008
  8. The Devil

lbr monkey boy

Puts me in mind of a recent thread on here about good/bad dealers and their behaviours. I've come across a few who play this game and it's both embarrassingly transparent and highly irksome. Not sure I could have gone through with deal myself, gritted teeth or no!

Nice cart though - glad you're enjoying it.

PS> what does belmtardery mean, I like the sound of it?

lbr, Aug 30, 2008
  9. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

To "belm" is to place the tongue in front of the lower front teeth, inside the lip, intoning "uuuurrrrhhhhhnnnn" at the same time. "'tard" is an abbreviated form of "retard". Hence "belmtard". Belmtardery is therefore to behave like a belmtard.*

Thanks for all the good wishes - I have never had a really posh cartridge before, but now I can see the point of them. One of the nice things about the Benz is that it could be a cartridge for life, as the factory do retips.

Encouraging news about the 30R. What's the retail price?

* source : OED

;-)

The Devil, Aug 31, 2008
  10. The Devil

Paul Ranson

Whest marketing puff implies about $3000.

But Whest marketing puff crosses well into fairy dust territory so who knows.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Aug 31, 2008
  11. The Devil

Fen Dancer Two left feet

I've got a Benz LP as well - currently "resting" in a drawer while I sell my Michell Gyro. If I had to pick a fault, it can almost be too detailed - it doesn't hide groove damage quite as well as my Rondo bronze. But then the Rondo doesn't quite sound as smooth and nuanced. I want it all!
    I'm just waiting to hear what it'll be like on my next TT (whatever that may be)

Fen Dancer, Aug 31, 2008
  12. The Devil

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The Whest PS 30R phonostge is £1599 in the UK. If in the market for a phono stage, it should be worth a listen.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 31, 2008
  13. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Paul,

I am now more than a little sceptical about certain hi-fi "huge differences", especially where amplification & phono stages are concerned.

fox's Cambridge 640p seemed virtually indistinguishable from the Whest .20 on a brief A/B, and a recent demo of Naim's new Superline reference phono stage, together with Supercap PS, NAC 552, NAP 500, and the top Dynavector cartridge also failed to scintillate, albeit in a dealer demo with inferior speakers. That latter system cost more than a very decent sports car.

The Devil, Aug 31, 2008
  14. The Devil

Joe

That's Naim for ya!

Joe, Aug 31, 2008
  15. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

I think it's probably Sonus Faber for ya, although it could have been the turntable or arm. I don't think there's very much left to be discovered about the RIAA curve.

The Devil, Aug 31, 2008
  16. The Devil

RobHolt Moderator

James, would you consider a valve stage?

Nice looking cart btw - I'm not jealous at all....

RobHolt, Aug 31, 2008
  17. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Rob,

I wouldn't rule out valves, I have an old Leak Troughline, which sounds quite jolly despite its valvery. Ribee-San is an expert on valve 'stages. What did you have in mind?

The Devil, Aug 31, 2008
  18. The Devil

RobHolt Moderator

Hi James,

World Design Phono 3.

You can buy them built and tested for £800 and that gets you the MM/MC phono stage and PSU.

I've had mine for about three years and compared it with plenty of others including EAR, Borbely, Dynavector and Naim.
    Wouldn't swap it for any of them.

More info here:

http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/AmpKits.html

regards,

RobHolt, Aug 31, 2008
  19. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Thanks,

Looks like £443 to me, unless I'm missing something? Might well be worth a punt at that price. Can you adjust loading & sensitivity?

The Devil, Aug 31, 2008
  20. The Devil

SCIDB Moderator

Hi James,

You need to add a power supply to the phono stage. This is another £329 ready built.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question