Benz phono stage

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Aug 23, 2008.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

I'm currently using a Whest PS .20, and am wondering about a change. The Benz PP1 has been recommended, does anyone know anything useful about this?

The Devil, Aug 23, 2008
  2. The Devil

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Did you change your cartridge? If so, what did you go for?

I'm not sure how good the PP1 phono stage is. I have read very good reports about it. The Whest phono stage that you have is very good so it needs to be a winner to be better.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 23, 2008
  3. The Devil

FrankDeckard

Unless you are using it with a Benz cart, don't bother. I tried one years ago with my Glider and found it to be a very synergistic match. I tried a Dynavector with it and the bottom fell out of the performance.

My H2 sounds great with it, but my AA Vinyl One took the sound to a much higher level. Far better resolution and tonal accuracy.

FrankDeckard, Aug 23, 2008
  4. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, or at least nearly yes. I've ordered a new Benz ebony LP, which should be with me later on this week, I hope. The chap who sold it suggested some changes, including the PS. Other downstream components are apparently sub-optimal as well, although the turntable & arm escaped criticism. One must take comfort wherever one finds it.

The Devil, Aug 23, 2008
  5. The Devil

robM

Devil... don't make the mistake!

I have tried the PP1 and although good is not a match for the PS.20 which I had for a long time and great. I now use the new Whest PS.30R which is AMAZING to say the very least. What this PS.30R does is bring out stuff from vinyl that is staggering and that the PS.20 just hinted at. The 30R is apparently a cut down version of their Reference.

On a different note.... I have the option of a Zeta or OL Silver Mk2 to put o my old TD125 Mk2.... any thoughts? It's for my office so it's messing about a bit.

robM, Aug 24, 2008
  6. The Devil

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Aug 24, 2008
  7. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

That's an astoundingly good guess, Dean. He spent quite some time telling me over the phone what my system sounded like. It was just like being on a hi-fi forum. I believe the Benz phono stage is around £700-800, which is cheaper than the Whest was, not that that necessarily means it isn't as good.

I agree the most sensible option is to run the cartridge in first, then see where I stand.

The Devil, Aug 24, 2008
  8. The Devil

hifi addict

I know Judy Spotheim of SPJ Turntables uses the Benz phonostage. I may be worth contacting her about it and it's uses. Benz builder her cartridges. (I would give you the website but I'm currently on a ferry heading for Greece and it's taken me nearly half an hour to post this reply!) So just google her. Every time I went round to her place it always sounded very good perhaps a little laid back.

hifi addict, Aug 24, 2008
  9. The Devil

SCIDB Moderator

Hi James (Devil),

It sounds like classic Branko. I know of customers, via my local hifi dealer, who have experienced similar things. He, like many, can be very opinionated.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 24, 2008
  10. The Devil

robM

Opinionated is being nice isn't it!

I had a Glider L2 and used the 1000 ohms (1k0 ohm) plugs with the PS.20 and it sounded great. I have heard the internals of many of the Benz range are pretty much the same, the differences are in the body construction. I like the low output Benz cartridges, I think they are very underated.

robM, Aug 24, 2008
  11. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, I sort-of switched off when I heard the word "amusical". If he heard the system, and thought that, then fine. Typical hi-fi dealer trying to sow uncertainty in your mind.

Thx for advice, chaps.

The Devil, Aug 24, 2008
Ask a Question