Beresford TC 7510 v Behringer deq2496 as a dac?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zega5508, Dec 8, 2009.

1. zega5508

zega5508

Hi

I'm currently running my Myryad MC100 cd player through the Beresford as dac (simply better IMO / prefer the sound) to Myryad MP100 pre and two 120 power amps (bi amping). Cyrus cls50 speakers

The behringer deq2496 gained a lot of positive opinion on various forums, but I also note its dac is sometimes given a poor review.

My plan would be to keep the sound quality I am used to with the Beresford as dac but to be able to eq with as transparent a dsp as possible.

Has anyone compared the Beresford and Behringer dac's?

Will the Behringer degrade or improve the sound quality?

Can the beresford be used as dac and then piped through the 2496?

I would be looking at the un modded 2496.

All opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

zega5508

zega5508, Dec 8, 2009
  2. zega5508

Mr_Sukebe

I've owned both (not at the same time) and thought that they were both very similar, though of course you do get free room correction with the DEQ.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 8, 2009
  3. zega5508

Tenson Moderator

Get the DEQ, then you can try two ways of doing it:

1) CD Player --digital--> DEQ --digital--> Beresford --analog-out-->

2) CD Player --digital--> DEQ --analog-out-->

If you like option 2 then sell the Beresford.

Tenson, Dec 8, 2009
  4. zega5508

Smithy

Maybe compare your Beresford to a modified DEQ,I have an Audiosmile modified DCX2496 which I am very happy with.

Smithy, Dec 9, 2009
  5. zega5508

JANDL100

Personally, I would put the Beresford a league or 3 ahead of the DEQ2496's DAC - I have both and I don't think very highly of the DAC in my (unmodified) DEQ2496 whereas the Beresford is a nice piece of kit.

JANDL100, Dec 9, 2009
  6. zega5508

zega5508

Many thanks everyone for your contributions. Looking at Tenson's suggestion of cd > digital out >DEQ>digital out> beresford> analogue out does that bypass the DEQ dac, but eq the signal prior to passing it through the beresford? Its page 7 of the manual for possible connections on the DEQ. The link below will show the connections back panel of the DEQ.

I'm using Mogami cable between pre and power amps. I had some very useful advice from the pros's on gearslutz forum and checked out all the world leading recording studios to see what they are using. The premis would seem to be its the boxes the information travels through that gives the quality to the recording not spending a fortune on the cables. So if its good enough for them its good enough for me. Also some very interesting psychology information on how our nervous system reacts to sound. It will hear and see a distinct difference in sound and vision but over time that initial 'new' interpretation is lost and what was new becomes the norm. So that's why when we see HD and Bluray in the TV shop it looks fab but after months of viewing at home the brain is conditioned to that as normal.

(http://www.behringer.com/EN/images/lightboxphotos/DEQ2496_P0146_Rear_XXL.jpg)

zega5508, Dec 9, 2009
  7. zega5508

Tenson Moderator

You can use the DEQ just as a digital in / digital out processing box. So yes, the DAC can be bypassed and you can use the Beresford.

I'd suggest getting the DEQ modified, but given that you already have the Beresford which I'm sure is pretty good, I'd say compare the unmodded DEQ to that and go with whatever you feel happy using.

One thing though - The Aux Out on the Jacks uses a different DAC and output stage than the Main Out on the XLRs. Use the XLRs.

Tenson, Dec 10, 2009
Ask a Question