Best Cdp Ever!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Nov 18, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Yep, that's what WHF claims of the new TEAC P-70/D-70 Transport/DAC combo!

"this is the best CD player we have ever heard. Composure and control are breathtakin"

And so they should be at the price! £5500 and £5000 respectively!

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  2. MO!

michaelab desafinado

By all accounts it does make a pretty decent sound and at the price it's considerably cheaper than some other "statement" offerings eg the Metronome Kallista transport alone costs £15K :eek: - pair that up with an Audio Note DAC5 for £20K and the Teac combo looks almost budget in comparison!

Quite what WHF is doing reviewing it though I don't know :confused:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 18, 2003
  3. MO!

Robbo

Can't really imagine WHF knowing enough about high end kit to make a sound judgement anyway:eek:

Robbo, Nov 18, 2003
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

well along with it's £550-£700 CDP group test, £850-£1000 Speaker group test, and a headphone group test too, it could for a MOment look like WHF had regained the plot. However, then you notice you're havig to go past pages and pages of tvs, plasmas, sub-sat's, etc to get to them. My subscription seems to renewed out of habbit MOre than anything. It wont be next time.

The review mentions some pricier rivals, the £24,998 Krell KPS-25SC. But that claim doesn't seem to be just best in it's class, MOre an outright claim for best CDP ever! As you say, a relative bargain then! :cool:

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  5. MO!

tones compulsive cantater

That's Titian's player (a four-box affair costing about the price of my house).

tones, Nov 18, 2003
  6. MO!

michaelab desafinado

Yes - I knew that titian had that transport. I didn't know he had the DAC to go with it aswell though :eek:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 18, 2003
  7. MO!

Lt Cdr Data om

To be honest WHf say that about every really expensive bit of kit anyway, dont take any notice, it will be good, but any good cd will be as good. Its the old, corr look how much it costs, must be the best.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 18, 2003
  8. MO!

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

wadia-miester, Nov 18, 2003
  9. MO!

titian

Michael, If you do something to the half, might as well complete the job. :eek:
    There are several factors which made me take that decision which I cannot make public.
    I must admit I enjoy it very much now and I don't regret my decision even if it took me nearly 6 months to decide.

Tones
    which house? not certainly in CH!
    Anyway my priorities would also be first house then Kalista.

About Teac:
    I cannot comment about the article. I would like to know with which units they tested it. I read also the review about the Kalista on HFI+ I think. I found it a strange thing to test it connecting it to the Wadia as a DAC. Not that I have something against Wadia at all (on the contrary) but I wouldn't think the two units would match together.

titian, Nov 18, 2003
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Oh yeah Tone, forgot to mention this. Remember I said i'd pointed someone toward your Meadowlarks who was looking for speakers in that budget? Well my reply didn't appear to his post. This often happens over there (all posts MOderated BEFORE publishing), so I left it a day or two and tried again........ still no result. I've posted links to s/h products before and other forums too, as do others there, so not sure why they objected to your speakers. I tried a third time and put a little p.s to the MOderator asking him to explain why he was deleting the post. Stil no post, and no explination! Started a thread aksing how the site was MOderated and who by..... the thread appeared (edited) and then i've since had other replies and posts not appear! Freedom of speech! Great stuff eh?

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  11. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

HIFI should be about the products and not the price tag. Though I hope there is a defintive coloration between sound quality and price its not always the case especialy with CD players if peoples views on here are anything to go by.

I think once you hit mid range you have to be pretty rich to go into hi end and be able to justify it.

amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2003
  12. MO!

Hodgesaargh

Well I used to subscribe to WHF for a few years and they always used to test 3 peices of high end stuff each issue, not sure they still do but I think they do, it's usually near the end (well, technically the middle since half of it is the buying guide and adverts). They do know about high end it just goes to show how much you guys pay attention.

It's easy to have a pop at WHF cos everyone around here seems to jump on the same bandwagon so you feel part of a club. Trust me WHF isnt as bad as you think (although I stopped subscribing when they started testing so much home cinema stuff like TV sets).

Hodgesaargh, Nov 18, 2003
  13. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

***** 5 Stars

No mention of partnering equipment though :rolleyes:

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  14. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've subscribed to the mag for a few years and been buying it regularly since about 1996.

The "temptation" bit you mention has been and gone. WHF isn't all bad. It shows a reasonable aMOunt of budget - lower mid range kit. The reviews are pretty poor. MOre like overviews. Kit used is very rarely listed, and the actual text is often very brief. A one page review with a large chuck of it being taken up by pictures. It has it's place. But that place is MOving further and further from Hifi, to home cinema.

This thread was MOre to do with the claims of the TEAC than the magazine :confused:

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  15. MO!

Robbo

My view :- use your ears, and dont believe a word of what is written in mags like WHF.

Robbo, Nov 18, 2003
  16. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I totally agree with that I've bought some of their 5 star things that sound like crap, yet the Philips HD890 which they only gave 3 stars for sounds great.

I just can't help thinking their is politics behind the reviews. When was the last 1 star Sony or Marantz product WHF reviewed?

amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2003
  17. MO!

dunkyboy

Come to think of it, when was the last 1-star review of any manufacturer's products in What Hifi?? Oh my god it's a vast conspiracy - WHF is getting paid off by EVERYbody! Aaaargh!

Sigh... :rolleyes:

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 19, 2003
  18. MO!

tones compulsive cantater

True, true, I was exaggerating just slightly(!!!). Good to see you back here again on the site, ol' bean, and glad you had a good trip to England. One thing's for sure - I'm gonna make darn sure that you NEVER hear my hi-fi!

tones, Nov 19, 2003
  19. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A bit of a strong opinion this... hope I dont piss people off...

I think that WHF are there to serve their audience's requirements.

The high readership levels illustrate that the readers are by and large not audiophiles.

If I bought a copy of...''what Cam-corder'' (if there is such a thing) Id probably do it to see what a good model would be in my price range. I think thats what people use the 'Which?'' mags for and also WHF.

The copy-type of WHF seems set to the level of the audience. i.e. cor this ones got lots of bass. Good for dance 5 stars out of 5... I think this is one of the main reasons it gets such bad-press here - its editorial is very simplistic.

I believe they review high end products as an item of interest and esteem. Much like top gear magazine might review a Mclaren F1 - and 99.99% of the readership are reading about it through interest not in mind of purchasing it.

People who buy high end equipment are more likely to buy HF world/ HF +/stereophile/ HF News IMHO.

WHF could well be called ''my first hifi'' !

bottleneck, Nov 19, 2003
Ask a Question