Best cheap speakers for Rotel?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jan 15, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I know, I know... I can almost hear some of you thinking "not another one of these threads from Paul" :D

I'm in the process of researching a cheap amp and speakers, for my bedroom, and so far, I have pretty much decided on a Rotel integrated, as I've had one before, liked it, and they are nicely cheap, not too old, and have RCA inputs rather than DINs, and I dont really wish to purchase lots of converters! I also happen to like the Rotel sound. I'm pretty much 100% decided on this as a choice of amp, unless of course you can think of anything thats not too old that would be better for similar price.... the reason I dont want too old is as said, dont want DIN sockets, want something I can plug my headphone amp into, and what isn't too tired - the last thing I need at the moment is to buy an amp which needs servicing straight away - I'm no good at DIY, and do not have the time to learn, at the moment!

The reason I'm asking about floorstanders, is because I'd like recommendations for a speaker that can do relatively low bass if required, but preferably not one that has a "thumpy" sound (i.e. too much midbass), if possible. Of course, if there are any bookshelf speakers that can do the job, then so be it. I have decided on the amp also to hopefully make the choice of speakers a little easier.

I am looking for something that will synergise with the Rotel for not more than £100. Not something too big as space is at a relative premium. Shielded would be nice, but not strictly neccesary. Something that sounds nicely clear, not too bright, but certainly not too dull (being dull is the worse of the two evils).

If you do suggest another amp, then please suggest some speakers that will go with it. Budget definitely no more than £200 tops (even that is pushing it).

I know I've done some of these threads before, and I've searched the forum high and low, but am not, at the moment, much the clearer for my research.

PBirkett, Jan 15, 2006
  2. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

so which Rotel....something really nice like a RA930bx? I did hear Heybrook HB1s on one of them and sounded really nice- a friend's Eltax Monitor 3s sounded very pleasant too- and hes selling them so givvus a yell if you're interested. Not sure if they're shielded though. Seem to give a fair stab at bass too. To be honest if they're going to be near field monitors (i.e. with you sitting at computer) you're going to need some kind of good quality active sub, as you need to be fairly well back in a room IME to get decent extension from floorstanders :)

Rory, Jan 15, 2006
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well... theres a 930AX on ebay at the moment... ;)

Edit: So do you reckon floorstanders would be a bad idea then?

PBirkett, Jan 15, 2006
  4. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

the 930BX is better than the AX ;) I don't think floorstanders would be the best bet for near field monitors, no. I'd look at KEF Q15.2s, for £80ish and save for a little active sub, or build your own :)

Rory, Jan 15, 2006
  5. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

Rory, Jan 15, 2006
  6. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Rory, they arent for nearfield as such. I'll try and sort out a picture of where they'll go...

PBirkett, Jan 15, 2006
  7. PBirkett

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You want low bass for £100? Don't want much do you? :lol:

Tall order. Anything recent is likely to be too dear. Might find something among the less popular brands. Or something a little older. MA14's. Tannoy Sixes.

You'll need a gutsy amp for good low bass.

You might like these: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290727

Good speakers in their day.

technobear, Jan 15, 2006
  8. PBirkett

Dev Moderator

Something even more obvious. Why not Rory's sixes?

Dev, Jan 15, 2006
  9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

;)

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, I'll look into those.

Anyway, this is the situation, the speakers are to be place either side of this TV.... to its left a desk with my PC on it, to its right, a chest of drawers (which can be moved of course), thats in the corner.

[​IMG]

PBirkett, Jan 15, 2006
  10. PBirkett

angi73

Do a search for my post when i wanted another pair of speakers for my study perhaps.

I would recomend trying the KEF reference 104 or 104ab, I'm very satisfied with mine, they really are surprisingly bloody good! dont let the age put you off, as long as they are in decent condition. Go pretty deep too, 30hz claimed on the KEF website. Oh and high sensitivity too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
    angi73, Jan 16, 2006
  11. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

PBirkett, Jan 16, 2006
Ask a Question