Best Contemporary Guitarist?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Lefty, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Lefty

Lefty

Who is the best contemporary (ie still alive and active) guitarist? My vote goes for Joe Bonamassa. He was a student of the late Danny Gatton.

I got hooked on this guy after hearing his music being played in the background at an Oxfam record store. At first I thought it was Stevie Ray Vaughan, so I went to the counter and asked what album of SRV this is as I hadn't heard it before. The guy laughed and said "This isn't SRV, it's a guy called Joe Bonamassa" He was obviously a big fan as I could see he was happy that someone else appreciated the talent of the man. He gave me a run down of all his essential releases and wrote everything down for me.

I then went to my local HMV to see if I could locate one of these releases. I found the album that was playing in the store - "Blues Deluxe" but it was an import and cost £23! In the end I managed to buy it from ebay on a US auction for about £12 in total. I seriously recommend people check him out - he's absolutely amazing!

Here is his website where people can download movie clips etc... enjoy!

http://www.jbonamassa.com/

Lefty

Lefty, Sep 19, 2005
  2. Lefty

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I downloaded the live mp3 version of 'ifheartacheswerenickles' from the site - one word....."superb"

I am only just really getting into blues (have purchased a Stevie RayVaughn CD not long ago). This is definately one for the list:)

Thanks Lefty:):)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
    lAmBoY, Sep 19, 2005
  3. Lefty

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Here is an interesting and not very well known guitarist....Pierre Bensusan.

Despite the 'french-sounding' name he is from the north east. He is an interesting guitarist with an unusual sound - coming partially from the alternative tunings he uses.

His contempories would be the likes of Michael Hedges, although I prefer Pierre Bensusan for the large part to Michael Hedges - who, I found hit and miss from one album to the next.

Here is a sample link - http://www.pierrebensusan.com/mp3/solilai/au_jardin_damour_solilai.mp3

Here is a page full of samples -
    http://www.pierrebensusan.com/mp3.html

bottleneck, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Lefty

space cadet Far out...

How about finnish Raoul Björkenheim. He plays in a group called Scorch Trio which sounds like a Hendrix playing Ayler.

http://www.raoulbjorkenheim.com

space cadet, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Lefty

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

I recommend Francis Goya. Listen to the excellent sample - you'll agree he's the greatest. A true guitarist's guitarist.

http://www.francisgoya.com/

bat, Sep 19, 2005
  6. Lefty

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

You can't go far wrong with Walter Trout. He's on tour in the UK in October too. www.waltertrout.com

ilockyer, Sep 19, 2005
  7. Lefty

Saab

KIngs Of Convenience

Saab, Sep 19, 2005
  8. Lefty

Lefty

A lot of those mentioned seem to be classical guitarists. Are there any Antonio Forcione fans here? I've heard a bit of his stuff and whilst it's technically very good and all the rest of it, I can't help but feel that it's a bit too structured, a bit too planned if you know what I mean.

This is also the reason I'm not not such a huge fan of classical music in general. It's all written down in front of you and whilst there is room for different interpretations of the same work, I don't feel there's any real element of spontaneity or performance about it. For me, real music has to be felt and from the heart. That's why I love the blues, Jazz and other similiar forms of music such as Indian Classical over the more static form such as Western Classical. Don't get me wrong, there are some great pieces within this style, but it just doesn't "get me going" (!) as much as the former styles

Lefty :D

Lefty, Sep 20, 2005
  9. Lefty

space cadet Far out...

Did you follow the Raoul Björkenheim link? Sounds like it could be your cup of tea.

space cadet, Sep 20, 2005
  10. Lefty

Lefty

Must have missed that one, just had a look... seriously cool! :cool:

He's certainly different - quite jazzy sounding, but with a dirtier edge. I'll definately have to check this guy out - any releases in particular that you recommend?

Lefty

Lefty, Sep 20, 2005
  11. Lefty

Lefty

Been having a further nose around the Raoul Björkenheim site and found this:

I think this goes a long way towards explaining what I said in my other post. Perhaps the western way of learning music doesn't lend itself so well to "feeling out" your playing. If you think of your voice as a musical instrument, it's relatively easy to think of sounds that you wish to make before you make them. A truly great musician should be able to use their instrument as they use their voice, ie playing music with your instrument should be as easy as talking using your voice.

Oh yeah, there's a few interesting videos under "lessons" for any other guitarists where he explains some intersting techniques. Thanks for the link Space Cadet... quality stuff!

Lefty

Lefty, Sep 20, 2005
  12. Lefty

DavidY80 Long Member

Do you have any of his albums? Can you recommend a good place to jump in?

DavidY80, Sep 22, 2005
  13. Lefty

space cadet Far out...

space cadet, Sep 22, 2005
  14. Lefty

DavidY80 Long Member

I found this on AMG and had a listen to the clips; sounds right up my street. Excellent stuff. Thanks for the tip. :D

DavidY80, Sep 22, 2005
  15. Lefty

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I often think that Derek Bailey is the guitarist to beat...
    Most folks might say that it's unlistenable tuneless atonal nonsense, but no-one else sounds like that, and many of his techniques have been stolen by others..
    I find many guitarists are very technically proficient - frinstance Joe Bonamassa is excellent, but we;ve heard it all before!
    I like innovation - not necessarily completely new (like Derek Bailey), but highly recognisable, like perhaps Mike Hampton from Funkadelic, or Buckethead..
    There's nowt wrong with craft, but I like art.

leonard smalls, Sep 23, 2005
  16. Lefty

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Love Forcione. He is helped somewhat by the quality of the Naim recording process and pressing quality.

Dedicato on 180g is stunning, definitely one of the best-sounding records I own.

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 23, 2005
  17. Lefty

Lefty

Gotta agree on the recording quality front. Those Naim recordings do sound stunning.

Lefty

Lefty, Sep 23, 2005
  18. Lefty

anon_bb Honey Badger

Steve Albini

anon_bb, Sep 23, 2005
  19. Lefty

Mr.C

Agree absolutely - what a blinding album, so natural. Who'd have thought Naim were capable? ;)

Mr.C, Sep 23, 2005
  20. Lefty

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I must add that its also the quietest vinyl I own. Inky-black background. Serious quality pressing IMO.

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 23, 2005
Ask a Question