Best easy way to convert FLAC to mp3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Sir Galahad, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Hi all,
    In preparation for a one-month car trip through some parts of South America, I'm considering buying an iPod 80 GB so as to take most of my music collection along. The car has an acceptable sound system with a USB port.
    I ripped all my non-classical music to FLAC for use with the Squeezeboxe(s) and wonder if there's a simple application to batch-convert the lot to mp3 overnight (converting about 500 albums will probably take several nights).
    I read lots on the subject on the Slim Devices forum, but the most discussed solution (namely flac2mp3) is not user friendly enough to my taste considering my (very) limited abilities when it comes to playing with DOS commands and the like. I actually do not even fully understand the step by step explanations the author gives in his wiki. :(
    Does anybody know of, or has experience of a simple, straightforward way of doing it, preferably with a GUI. Preserving the tags is a must.
    Thanks in advance
    Sir G

Sir Galahad, Nov 6, 2006
  2. Sir Galahad

andrew1810

andrew1810, Nov 6, 2006
  3. Sir Galahad

Stuart

I've used Foobar to convert, however this was album by album conversion and I've no idea if it can be scripted to do a batch conversion.

Stuart, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Sir Galahad

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sir g,
    foobar can be used to convert as much as you want - jsut boot it up select all the files / folders you want converting and drag them into foobar. then select all (ctrl-a) right click and select convert. leave it going overnight.

julian2002, Nov 7, 2006
  5. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Thanks Andrew, I looked at the riverpast website but does seem to do batch conversion.

Thanks Julian, I installed Foobar, but after right-clicking to convert, I am prompted to specify the directory containing "lame.exe".
    Is it something that needs installing?

Edited: Googled it and downloaded it. I'm doing a test conversion on a few albums and looks like it's working.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
    Sir Galahad, Nov 7, 2006
Ask a Question