Best music for testing PRaT

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Feb 24, 2004.

1. PBirkett

Steven Toy

I guess that the Mana guys are not terribly enamoured by a musical presentation but rather than admit this they'll instead get you bogged down with deflective semantic issues. ;)

Steven Toy, Mar 1, 2004
  2. PBirkett

GrahamN

That was actually an electronic organ - the RAH instrument being at that time under repair. The electronic replacement was not bad, but was nothing like the real thing, even in it's wheezy geriatric incarnation of the last few years. The new improved post-regeneration version gets its grand reopening 26th(?) June this year, and is supposed to feature largely in the Proms' first night (possibly the Saint Sains :rolleyes: , Galgolitic Mass would be better, but that was done a few years ago).

Graham - you will see very few double-basses in modern symphony orchestras that are simple 4-string: they will either be 5-string or have the low frequency-extender on the bottom string. Apparently the 5th string is frequently only tuned a third down to C (32.7Hz), also the extender is called a "C-string attachment", but is occasionally taken down to that B. AFAIK, there are quite a lot of pieces in the last 100 years requiring these low notes (although I can't give you any specific examples ATM).

I can confirm that 19Hz is all but inaudible. I went to a concert/experiment last summer where they turned on/off a tone generator at various times, and we were asked to say whether it was on or not, and and strange feelings/sensations we were getting. In DOUBLE-BLIND TEST ;) , I managed to get the right answer exactly 50% of the time - i.e. pure chance. This was also not a low intensity tone - holding a 2-sheet programme in the end of the resonator got it flapping by about +/- 1 cm.

GrahamN, Mar 1, 2004
  3. PBirkett

The Devil IHTFP

This particular Mana guy is not terribly enamoured by people like you writing utterly meaningless and often quite sanctimonious prose about fluffy abstract concepts such as "musical" presentation. These you have quite clearly lifted from whichever hi-fi mag you have your nose in at the moment.

The Devil, Mar 1, 2004
  4. PBirkett

Paul Duerden

The Closest Aproach To The Original Sound

It's pretty straightforward isn't it? The most musical performance is the original, the system that gets closest to this, is then by definition the most musical.

Paul Duerden, Mar 1, 2004
  5. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Really?? I knew the RAH organ is/was undergoing repairs but I thought it was still functional. At first I too thought it was an electronic organ but then I asked by dad (who knows a fair bit about organs) and he thought it was just a remote keyboard for the real thing (I didn't know such remote keyboards existed before).

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 1, 2004
  6. PBirkett

joel Shaman of Signals

Re: The Closest Aproach To The Original Sound

But ALL hifi is, by its nature, a compromise, and any hifi will do some things better than others. In which case it's the hifi that gets closest to the original in the same order as your personal priorities....
    That seems a tricky one to pin down IMO. But maybe I'm misssing something here?

joel, Mar 1, 2004
  7. PBirkett

Paul Duerden

Hi Joel,

The closest approach implies compromise doesn't it? Otherwise it would be the exact approach which we are nowhere near. Maybe we could modify it to " the system that gives us the most musical clues so that we can reconstruct the original in our heads"

Many years ago Quad used to do an ad which featured a guy playing a cello behind a curtain while a reviewer who thought he was listening to speakers, made notes studiously on a pad and generally looked disgruntled. There is a bit of that reviewer in all of us.

Paul Duerden, Mar 1, 2004
  8. PBirkett

PeteH Natural Blue

If the cellist had been sitting on Phase 16 Mana it would have been a different story :D

PeteH, Mar 1, 2004
  9. PBirkett

greg Its a G thing

Re: Re: The Closest Aproach To The Original Sound

Joel - I think that's an astute comment. Its a given that presenting the real is impossible, so our idividual preferences and perceptions kick in and it becomes subjective.

However I do think some members crave one *hifi sound* or another rather than one or another attempt at the original sound. This seems to be where objectives start to differ considerably, or at least thats how it seems to my tiny mind anyway :confused:

greg, Mar 1, 2004
  10. PBirkett

GrahamN

'Fraid so. There were some huge speaker cabs up in the intermediate-level gallery behind the stage, and it did a fair job... but I can assure you that it got nowhere close to the visceral rumble in the guts the real thing does (very similar feeling to the morning after a really good vindaloo!)

GrahamN, Mar 1, 2004
  11. PBirkett

joel Shaman of Signals

Sounds excellent. Japanese Wadaiko has a similar effect - especially when you stand close to one being played (or to many smaller drums). Your whole body doesn't vibrate so much as resonate. A wonderful feeling and quite different from high SPL trouser-flapping / sofa-pinning hifi.
    Paul,
    I wouldn't argue with what you say. I think it's true. But each of us seems to have his/her own slightly differing perspective on what reality is...

joel, Mar 1, 2004
  12. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

I often manage to have more than one perspective on reality simultaneously, and that's nothing to do with either wearing glasses or being drunk...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 1, 2004
  13. PBirkett

PeteH Natural Blue

At a rehearsal I was at some time ago a slightly* (*extremely) over-enthusiastic thwack on the bass drum by an excited percussionist (well, it was the Great Gate of Kiev to be fair :D ) gave me probably the most extreme sound-induced experience of my life. I swear the shockwave actually knocked me forwards in my chair... It must have completely deafened the brass players who were sitting just in front of it :eek:

PeteH, Mar 1, 2004
  14. PBirkett

Robbo

Ian,

That's the last time I take any notice of your music recommendations:p

Robbo

Robbo, Mar 2, 2004
  15. PBirkett

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Robbo mate, you need to get yourself round there in person, and decide what you like from the record collection!.

So far, Ive raided Julians and Ians music collections, now with a ''wish list'' 40 albums long! eeek

Actually, unless you want a 400 quid list, maybe its a bad idea!!

:cool:

bottleneck, Mar 2, 2004
  16. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

You utter peasant. :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 2, 2004
  17. PBirkett

Robbo

Sorry, I couldnt get any further than track two before the urge to put something else on became irresistable:eek:

Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Robbo, Mar 2, 2004
  18. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

Which one was it? If it's Third, track 3 (Moon in June) is the only thing on it that's any good. If it's the first album, it's all great. By Third they were straying dangerously into jazz rock, the first two albums are quite different, much more song-based. Extremely big influence on Pink Floyd and Hendrix, BTW.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 2, 2004
  19. PBirkett

Robbo

it's Third.........

I'm probably not going to risk buying any more albums though.

Robbo, Mar 3, 2004
  20. PBirkett

sideshowbob Trisha

First is fabulous. Entirely different.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 3, 2004
Ask a Question