Best software for 'ripping' records...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dominicT, Jun 7, 2004.

1. dominicT

dominicT former member

...or whatever the proper word is for recording my records into my i-Book and storing them and playing them back i-Tunes style?

I intend to use i-Tunes for my CDs and am hoping that I can also import my records into i-Tunes; is this the case? If not, then is there an 'all in one' that I should be using or will it be best to have two separate pieces of software?

Thanks guys

Dominic

dominicT, Jun 7, 2004
  2. dominicT

michaelab desafinado

By "records" do you mean vinyl? If so I don't think it's all that straightforward. You'd need a decent soundcard to do the A/D conversion and record to WAV and then you could import those WAV files into i-Tunes (as WAV, MP3, AAC or whatever) if you wanted to.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 8, 2004
  3. dominicT

FluffUser

I noticed a service some chap offered where he cleaned the record first then captured on to CD-R.

He took great pains to describe the process through a 16-bit turtle beach soundcard, then carefully applying digital pop/click removal.

Obviously a modern card capable of good 24-bit/96KHz would make much more sense for the digital copy. Post processing benefits and experience of recording loads before probably still apply though.

I can't remember the name or site though, sorry.

regards,
    Rob.

FluffUser, Jun 8, 2004
  4. dominicT

dominicT former member

cheers Michael, I can use the M-Audio or my high end Soundscape converters (both have A-to-D conversion) to record to hard disk. Then to import the WAV files into i-Tunes should be straight forward? Seems very easy or have I missed something in what you are saying? Sadly my i-book still has not arrived - Apple are so slow on custom builds, looks like 4 weeks from order to delivery! Thanks Dominic

dominicT, Jun 9, 2004
  5. dominicT

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hmm. I remember doing this a long time ago and it was a pain cos having captured the Wav file, you then had to go through and manually put in the track breaks - unless of course you are happy to have a genuine vinyl like experience ie. your only breaks are the ends of sides. Since then I have't had the kit, so can't remember the details.

Uncle Ants, Jun 9, 2004
  6. dominicT

sideshowbob Trisha

Cool Edit Pro is excellent software for WAV editing. Sadly, it's now been bought by Adobe and renamed (Audition), so the price has gone up. Windows only, however, but if you want to do the job properly it's essential:

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/overview.html

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 9, 2004
  7. dominicT

dominicT former member

Cheers Ian. I have heard of this software but have never used it. I use Cubase SX for recording so it will have many identical features but will check out if it has the snap crackle and pop removal features that Cool Edit has.

Uncle - thanks - Am happy to edit at song level - not a great deal of work really.

dominicT, Jun 9, 2004
  8. dominicT

sideshowbob Trisha

sideshowbob, Jun 9, 2004
  9. dominicT

dominicT former member

dominicT, Jun 9, 2004
  10. dominicT

FluffUser

Hi Dominic,
    I tried to find the service details, but couldn't. I remember the cost wasn't high and involved a clean using a high-end vinyl wet cleaner.

I did find this helpfull guide: http://www.wavecor.co.uk/tutorial.htm

regards,
    Rob.

FluffUser, Jun 10, 2004
  11. dominicT

dominicT former member

Rob, great link. Completely idiot proof. cheers. Dominic

dominicT, Jun 14, 2004
  12. dominicT

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

OK, is there a solution for those of us with a Mac but without the $1200 needed for the Restoration Bundle?

NOS-4-A2, Jun 14, 2004
  13. dominicT

Come to think of it - what are the recommendations for a good <£500 A-D converter that would work with my iMac (USB or firewire I guess)?

NOS-4-A2, Jun 14, 2004
  14. dominicT

FluffUser

Thanks.

I disagree with the record at 44.1/16-bit and normalise as this will introduce some distortion due to rounding.

If you recorded at 24-bit, then normalised if desired, this would be better. Or get the levels pretty close and skip track peak normalising.

Ideally for best quality you'd keep it at 96KHz/24-bit but that won't go on a redbook standard CD.

You would then have two options:
    a) dither down to 16-bit (perhaps with noise shaping) and burn as a normal audio CD.

b) the DVD-Video spec includes 24-bit 96KHz uncompressed PCM audio, at up to 24-bit 96KHz, so you should just be able to burn straight to DVD-R with a DVD authoring package. One downside is a CD player wouldn't play it, you'd need a DVD player as a source. I bet it'd still sound quite nice though.

Unless you are really, really going for it, a) would be far simpler.

regards,
    Rob.

FluffUser, Jun 15, 2004
  15. dominicT

dominicT former member

Thanks Rob but no buring required as I will be listening via i-Tunes unless anyone recommends anything else!

NOS - I bought a cheap MAUDIO Audiophile - the DAC is fine but have not used the A-2-D yet - still waiting for i-Book to arrive! It is firewire and is £179 from Digital Village and you can buy online. Dominic

dominicT, Jun 15, 2004
  16. dominicT

FluffUser

Sorry Dominic, I wandered a little from your initial spec.

Does i-tunes do lossless or just lossey compression?

Do lp's do much above 18KHz or is over 44/1/48khz sampling fruitless even with the best turntables?

cheers,
    Rob.

FluffUser, Jun 15, 2004
  17. dominicT

Thanks Dominic - the MAudio looks pretty good but I would love to know if there are any alternatives? BTW do you know what the maximum length for a firewire cable is?

NOS-4-A2, Jun 15, 2004
  18. dominicT

dominicT former member

I use a Soundscape card with off board converters. They are very good but are four years old. Whilst the sound quality is very good the company got bought by Mackie and then had a management buy-out so there has been some uncertainty about the direction that the company was going which is why I have not strongly recommended them (they do not really do 'consumer' stuff) They appear to be back with a vengence so you should check them out. The RME cards and converters are very highly rated by people who I trust but I have not personnally heard one. The new EMU cards (PC only) have the same converters as used in Pro Tools (according to the adverts) but are a tenth of the price - certainly worth checking out. If you buy from Turnkey you can return the goods within 7 dyas for a refund if you do not want them - a good way to get a home demo!

Dominic

dominicT, Jun 16, 2004
  19. dominicT

dominicT former member

i-Tunes does lossey compression (AFAIK) I'm not really into the technical stuff, I just listen and if I like it I like it regardless of spec. I am happy with compressed playback because I cannot hear much of a difference (if at all) by using my Quad 99CDP as a DAC. Thanks Dominic

dominicT, Jun 16, 2004
Ask a Question