Best tweak?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lbr, Apr 21, 2008.

1. lbr

AlanB Audiophile

I've been using the antistatic polish for years and yes it does make a difference. Also if you have a Cd that has got scuffed(ouch!) clean it with the polish and it plays fine every time.
    I did have one problem. I cleaned a Hybrid SACD and it wouldn't play at all. Could the polish have got between the layers?
    I'm trying a new tweak. The so called experts say "Keep the signal cables apart from the power cables". Is that possible?
    I have tried wrapping the interconnects with tinfoil making sure the foil is well away from the connectors and held down with s few strips of sellotape. Not sure but the I think (very subtle??) the sound is more fluid - hard to tell but it certainly isn't worse.
    I'd be interested if anyone else tries it and if they perceive any difference.
    They take me away tomorrow!!

AlanB, May 26, 2008
  2. lbr

Jimbo

You could try sheilded power cable, perhaps does the same thing as your foil but looks tidier.

Jimbo, May 27, 2008
  3. lbr

lbr monkey boy

Yes - I do this as far as possible and it gives, for me, a subtle but worthwhile improvement in clarity, particularly on congested music. I believe the idea behind it is to limit the pick-up by signal cables of EMI emitted by power cables. Shielding (of both power and signal cables) is definitely sensible, but shielding is not a perfect barrier to EMI - distance helps considerably.

lbr, May 27, 2008
  4. lbr

Graffoeman

Disconnect/Reconnect all cables and leads. I generally do this about once a month and it never fails to give you back that little something extra that you remember from the last time you messed around round the back!:MILD:

Graffoeman, May 29, 2008
  5. lbr

lbr monkey boy

...said the actress to the bishop:shame:

lbr, May 29, 2008
Ask a Question