Beyerdynamic DT531 (budget headphone king)

For Sale: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by PBirkett, Sep 14, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

For sale, my trusty Beyerdynamic DT531 headphones. Been my favourites for 2 years now, and everyone should know what I think of them.... they really are great headphones for the money.

So why am I selling? Well I've just upgraded to the Beyer DT880, and on my current rig, well, put simply they are better in every way - as they should be, considering they originally cost well over double the price. Tonally, the DT531 are just too similar to the 880 to justify keeping them - if they sounded totally different, then I would have kept them, but they do sound similar in many respects.

This speaks volumes for them though. In fact, I would say they offer around 80 - 90 % of the overall sound quality of the DT880, but they offer a more pleasing sound on more modest equipment than the DT880.

A little sad to see these go really, as they were pretty much one of the undisputed kings of budget phones and have served me really well.

OK, they are 250 ohms, and are of an average sensitivity, so they are NOT suitable for use with an ipod or other portable device without an amp.

They are suitable for use with a PC soundcard or straight out of a CD player jack, however, you will not get deafening volumes out of them, nor will you get optimal sound quality.

They are perfectly suitable for use straight out of a dedicated stereo amp headphone jack, I used them for many months out of a Rotel integrated before my current amp, and found that they deliver a warm, punchy sound with excellent bass. You could try them out of an AV amp but I found the quality of that lacking, but it says more about the amp than the headphones.

They will match up well to a decent headphone amp, but in my experience, they need a very good one in order to distance itself from using it out of a stereo amp jack. Some amps can make it sound a little tinny and lacking bass.

They are NOT boxed, but they are in good condition. Be assured that i will find suitable packaging.

Price? £40 including postage.

You will NOT get a better headphone than this for £40!

Picture:-

[​IMG]

PBirkett, Sep 14, 2006
  2. PBirkett

pdiddy

Hi, are they still available?

pdiddy, Nov 11, 2008
  3. PBirkett

RDD Longterm Lurker

14th September 2006, 11:27 :eek:

RDD, Nov 12, 2008
  4. PBirkett