Bi-Amping, best way??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oxtobyd, Aug 11, 2006.

1. oxtobyd

oxtobyd

I'm gonna have a play at biamping, since i have two Marantz PM6010OSE's, and wanted to know what people thought the best way of doing it was.... i'm think that i have CD into amp 1, then take tape-out from amp 1 into Aux in of Amp 2, and then have Amp 1 drive the Hi of Speaker 1 & 2, while Amp 2 drives the Lo of Speakers 1 & 2.

anyone have any thoughts in this setup, or can suggest an alternative/better.

btw the Pm6010's don't have any sort of pre-in/out.

cheers

oxtobyd, Aug 11, 2006
  2. oxtobyd

rick

i did something similar with pioneer a400's. it makes the system active( in a fasion). a far better way i found was to make a lead from the cd player with 4 phono plugs on the end and feed both amps directly. otherwise your singal path will have to run through 2 amps before it gets to your bass speakers which will likely have an effect on the sound.
    i really miss experimenting like this!
    btw, i thought that the pair of a400's sounded great.

rick, Aug 12, 2006
  3. oxtobyd

TIU

With what speakers? I'm not sure you're going to hear much difference or improvement than with running one amp. You need a pre-amp with a pre-out facility and then two powers or integrads - each running a speaker on its own.

TIU, Aug 12, 2006
  4. oxtobyd

oxtobyd

cheers for that, i'll try and get hold of a y-adapter and give it a go....

oxtobyd, Aug 12, 2006
  5. oxtobyd

rick

you effectively have an amp module driving each driver. you also double the power supply capacity available.
    i used this method with a pair of roksan darius and the improvement was significant in all ways. the seperation was far better as was the soundstage and definition. although a bit heath robbinson it worked! i had the a400's on top of each other with a heavy elastic band joining the volume pots in a ring so that moving one would move them both at the same rate. while if i wanted to change the output level of any of the drive units this could be done by making the adjustment to the relevent amp or ballance control (active in a fasion). the only drawback is the use of both preamps in the integrated amps but if you have 2 and want to play around a bit its a good starting point.
    at very least you have a propper biwire method which most speakers benefit from and if you have a cd player with full variable output you can simply put both integrateds at full output and use the cd player as a volume control..

rick, Aug 12, 2006
  6. oxtobyd

Nuuk

I used two Arcam A60s for bi-amping and got a noticeable improvement with my IPL A2s.

However, it was nothing like the improvement when I removed the passive crossovers and went active!;)

Nuuk, Aug 13, 2006
  7. oxtobyd

oxtobyd

vertical

Ok, been looking around, it seems like vertical biamping is best, one amp per speaker due to load etc for hi and lo.... therefore does this setup sound right....

ok, have i understood right, if i try vertical then i... split the left signal from source and feed into l/r input on amp1, and right signal from source into l/r input on amp2, then amp1 has left and right channel into hi & lo of speaker1 and amp2 will take left and right channel into hi & lo of speaker2?

am i about there, i've orded some extra interconnects and x2 phone splitter adaptors, so hopefully can have a fiddle next few days.

oxtobyd, Aug 13, 2006
  8. oxtobyd

rick

thats not the way i would do it but try if you like, the amps are very likely different ages and while externally identical they may be internally different. i would have the first amp on bass/mid both speakers and the second amp on the trebble both speakers. whatever you do, DONT forget to remove the bridging links on your speakers otherwise you could end up with a very expensive experiment!!!

rick, Aug 13, 2006
Ask a Question