Bi-amping TAG 100x5Rs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by eisenach, Mar 12, 2005.

1. eisenach

eisenach

I've just succumbed to HiFiBitZ' offer on TAG equipment, and with luck should be getting the 100x5R/AV32R combination. At the moment, my system's pure stereo, with B&W speakers bi-amped, and I'd like to use the 100x5R to carry on doing this. Looking up on TAG's website, the AV32R only seems to have one set of outputs, though, and the 100x5R doesn't seem to have the facility to pass the incoming signal on from one amp module to another.
    I've read on that some do bi-amp using the 100x5R - how do you go about splitting the signal from the preamp to feed two modules?

eisenach, Mar 12, 2005
  2. eisenach

wolfgang

I think you should be quite please with the toys. Try a pair of ICs with RCA to 2RCA socket and see.

Which version of the AV32R processor did you get? Looking forward to your future reviews. I have the 192 Single Processor for some years but not that amp. The DP was tempting but after sleeping on it for one night all available units seems to be gone. The influence of chat forums is great indeed.

wolfgang, Mar 13, 2005
  3. eisenach

eisenach

It's the single - what's the benefit of of dual processing? I'm not really up with AV set-ups. I plan to use it mainly for music (CD and SACD, so the 5.1 bypass is nice). One of the main attractions was being able to use the T2L link with my CD transport - it's supposed to make a big difference.

eisenach, Mar 13, 2005
  4. eisenach

spxy

Doesn't the 100x5R have 5 sets of speaker terminals.
    solution

spxy, Mar 13, 2005
  5. eisenach

wolfgang

The SP should be an great improvement itself with better DAC and T2L. The biggest thing about the DP version is the ability to do Room Equalisation. (The other only apply if you use a subwoofer with more flexibility for bass management. Things like placement effect of the sub and selectable crossover frequency each of the 5 speakers from 40 to 150 Hz, in steps of 10 Hz).

When are you expecting the delivery of these toys?

wolfgang, Mar 13, 2005
  6. eisenach

eisenach

Yes, but if I'm bi-amping I'll need to use two amplifier modules per stereo channel, and the AV32R only has one stereo set of outputs. So that gets me to one module. I suppose I'll have to use a splitter to pass the signal on to the second module.

eisenach, Mar 14, 2005
  7. eisenach

eisenach

Thanks for the clarification re SP/DP. No delivery date for the toys yet. Do HiFiBitZ keep these in stock I wonder?
    Found a splitter on a German site - looks good!

The link seems not to work: put "rca splitter" into Google images and pick the prettiest!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2005
    eisenach, Mar 14, 2005
  8. eisenach

shrink

hey dude... let me know how you get on with the AV32r :) im keen to get one to use as a digital preamp.. with a bit of home cinema on the side :)

shrink, Mar 21, 2005
  9. eisenach

eisenach

It arrived on Friday and sounds superb, even just into the bi-amping P60s.
    Now I've got the splitters, I've got the 100R going, and it sounds even better: much more solid and effortless.
    Hell, though, for someone coming from plain stereo HiFi, the AV32R's a complicated beast. It won't get used much for A/V and I don't really understand what all the options are. Once I've got some more speakers, though, I look forward to 5 channel SACD.

eisenach, Mar 21, 2005
  10. eisenach

shrink

yeah well im definately thinking of getting one with a matching transport

will solve my digital source/preamp/cinema duties in one big swoop.

all i'll need then is one more audiolab monoblock and an audiolab 8000P for my rears and id have a pretty awesome sounding hi-fi and home cinema :)

shrink, Mar 21, 2005
  11. eisenach

Spenny

I received my AV32R 192 bp on Saturday from HiFibitz which replaces my Tag McLaren DPA32R which itself is an awesome preamp and DAC.

Its early days yet, however, in two channel the AV32R sounds exactly the same as the DPA32R (which is great) but in 5.1 channel with the AV32R feeding an Audiolab 8000P (Front) a 8000P feeding the Rears and the Power Amp of an Audiolab 8000S feeding the Centre Channel, the difference from my previous Yamaha a595A Processor (all outputs fed to the same amplification) is awesome!!

I also have the Tag Mclaren CDT20R T2L sync linked to the AV32R which is a wonderful combination.

Now to get all those DVD's out again and try again using the AV32R! :D

Spenny, Mar 23, 2005
  12. eisenach

shrink

is the cdt20r with the av32r as good sounding as the DPA32r with the transport?

and is the bypass analogue on the AV32r good also? i need this for a turntable you see :)

shrink, Mar 23, 2005
  13. eisenach

eisenach

Had the DPA got the (later) 192 DAC?

As I say elsewhere, the DPA would seem to be the more elegant solution for stereo: just a pity I didn't find one with the latest DAC at a good price. The AV32R's fine, though, and I suppose it does give me the chance of getting into A/V and/or surround SACD. The thought of all those speakers puts me off, though!

eisenach, Mar 24, 2005
  14. eisenach

Spenny

I think the DPA32R just has the edge over the AV32R with the CDT20 although there's little difference in reality.

The BP on the AV32R is excellent with DVDA & SACD, I have not tried my phono stage through this, I input my phono stage into a spare line level input and it sounds great.

My DPA32R has 192/24 DACs.

Spenny, Mar 24, 2005
  15. eisenach

shrink

cool... well as im trying to find a smooth way to get back into home cinema anyway.. the AV32r would seem the best solution.. giving me many things in one box.

im even thinking of getting the TAG DVD transport to save me one mroe box... do the DVD transports have the T2L as well??

shrink, Mar 24, 2005
  16. eisenach

Spenny

Shrink

yes the DVD32R has the T2L Synclink and is supposed to be an awesome CD Transport aswell as DVD.

My mate has just ordered one so I am going to borrow it when I get the chance to put it through its paces in my system.

Spenny, Mar 29, 2005
  17. eisenach

shrink

hehe cool.. well i have a step by step plan on how to get there without spending too much money all at once :)

gonna get the audiolab DAC and use it with my DVD player for now.. then get the tag transport for use with the 8000DAC...

then i can sell the pre and DAC and get the AV32r instead :)

shrink, Mar 31, 2005
Ask a Question