bi/tri amping

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bobgenie, Dec 1, 2006.

1. bobgenie

bobgenie

Hi guys,
    I'm having a look at getting a 3 channel and a 5 channel amp both in 9B ST chassis'. I want to bi-amp my IB1S mains and C6 centre. As there is no pass through on these I will have to split the signal somehow. I want to use balanced XLR connections and guess either splitting the cable will work or a proper XLR splitter. I was thinking though that it would be better to internally wire up the amps and therefore only need the one connection for each unit. I could also tri-amp the mains and bi the centre using the 3 channel for one and the 5 channel for one main and the centre. Any thoughts on this please? Any good engineers near Southampton that could do the wiring?

The other possibility but more money is just get a 6B SST and forget the multi amping :rolleyes:

Your thoughts and advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

bobgenie, Dec 1, 2006
  2. bobgenie

bobgenie

I have to decide whether to get the 3 and 5 channel 9B's or the 6B SST by the end of the weekend so was hoping some of you knowledgeable chaps could help me out here :)

bobgenie, Dec 1, 2006
  3. bobgenie

Tenson Moderator

You have a personal message :)

Tenson, Dec 2, 2006
  4. bobgenie

oedipus

Bi-amping/tri-amping is pointless (a) because the crossover is still in the way (b) it's better to share a bigger amplifier, so that's the way to go (a 250W bi-amp system can only send 250W to the bass; a 500W mono-amp can send 500W to the bass as need demands).

Active makes sense, but if you look at correctly designed active system (ie not Linn/naim), then the amps rarely have the same power output because the tweeter needs less than the mid and both need less than the bass.

FWIW: you should consider PowerPac 300's (put them behind the speakers and use short speaker cable and long interconnects.)

Or buy a 2 channel 4BST + a PowerPac 300. I say this because when trade in time comes, stereo amps fetch more and will be easier to get rid of than a 3-channel amp. BTW: The PowerPac's are quite sought after on the used market...

oedipus, Dec 2, 2006
  5. bobgenie

Tenson Moderator

I just recommended the Alesis RA500's since they can be mono-blocked for 500watts a side and are a lot cheaper for pretty much equal sound.

Tenson, Dec 2, 2006
  6. bobgenie

bobgenie

Yes I had already considered the 4B SST and powerpak option which works out somewhat cheaper then the 6B. Actually I've already found a demo 4B SST and a powerpak 120 which I could use for the centre saving enough to buy a couple of RA500 amps as well :D

Thanks for the input!

bobgenie, Dec 2, 2006
  7. bobgenie

Tenson Moderator

Sounds like a plan of some sort ;) Although you need to think of the fact the Alesis would probably have a different input sensitivity to the Bryston amps; which I assume have the same input sensitivity across the range to enable this sort of thing?

Tenson, Dec 2, 2006
  8. bobgenie

Unregistered

[shameless plug]
    I have an 'as new' 4B-SST for sale in the Classifieds
    [/shameless plug]

Cheers,
    Rich

Unregistered, Dec 3, 2006
  9. bobgenie

rodrat

The last time I spoke to PMC about bi/tri wiring on a PMC/ Bryston setup was it makes bugger all difference. I was told that they only put the facility on the back to satisfy the publics need to have them.

Rod

rodrat, Dec 5, 2006
  10. bobgenie

anon_bb Honey Badger

It made a huge difference when I did it for my passive mb2s. Night and day.

anon_bb, Dec 5, 2006
  11. bobgenie

rodrat

I had OB1's so maybe this made a difference. However, I never tried to bi or tri wire so maybe the advice was duff.

Rod

rodrat, Dec 5, 2006
  12. bobgenie

anon_bb Honey Badger

The three-way studio monitors - ib1, ib2, mb2 and bb5 - are very different beasts to the ob1. I would imagine you would get an improvement but not to the same degree. Many speakers dont change at all with bi or tri amping.

anon_bb, Dec 5, 2006
  13. bobgenie

bobgenie

I asked PMC technical about bi/tri amping and they told me that if I used the 5B ST (for example) there was the possibility of blowing a tweeter. Their advice was to use a 6B SST for the front three. I purchased a 4B SST already and now going to get a 6B SST when I can afford it :) until then I want to get something like a 5B ST in the interim. So looks like bi amping is out but will possibly give tri wiring a go :D

bobgenie, Dec 6, 2006
Ask a Question