Big advert!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, May 28, 2009.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

There is a big advert for a new box of magic in the latest Hi-Fi +, about 7 pages in. I must admit the 2-page advert leaves me a little sceptical. The website is www.quantumqrt.com Anyone with an in depth knowledge of quantum physics like to comment?

Tenson, May 28, 2009
  2. Tenson

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I sense an imminent change of career for Mr Sircom.

Purite Audio, May 28, 2009
  3. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

Oh dear. This idea that hi-fi sound is "the mains modified" seems to be catching on among the thoughtless. By the same token, the mains is modified coal, gas, oil, etc. An earthworm is modified water and soil.

The Devil, May 28, 2009
  4. Tenson

stereotype

Which is modified electromagnetic radiation. Makes sense.

It even looks like it. You are what you eat.

stereotype, May 28, 2009
  5. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, but it's such a half-baked, meaningless statement. On the face of it, it seems like a profound insight, a new way of thinking about hi-fi, but it's actually completely uninteresting and irrelevent. It is of no value at all, unless you want to sell mains cables to half-wits.

The Devil, May 29, 2009
  6. Tenson

stereotype

It gets some people going.

People were making up their own long before anyone realised they could sell them.

Get that emery paper out of the toolbox and start on a long voyage of discovery.

stereotype, May 29, 2009
  7. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

Stick your CDs in the freezer, stand on your head, and run around the room imitating a frog. Tell yourself the sound is better.

The Devil, May 29, 2009
  8. Tenson

andyoz

Well, I like the colors they have used on their website.

Apart from that, don't give a feck what a "Scalar Field Generator" is really.

andyoz, May 29, 2009
  9. Tenson

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

" Scalar Field Generator"

We need Joe from PFM to bring in a Trekkie picture, let me do so in his place..

[​IMG]

bottleneck, May 29, 2009
  10. Tenson

felix part-time Horta

felix, May 29, 2009
  11. Tenson

Papa Lazarou

Isn't that particular product from the Nordost Group?

To be fair to Mr. Sircom it'll take a while to purge RG's influences. I should imagine there may also be some unpublished articles to come from him too.

Papa Lazarou, May 29, 2009
  12. Tenson

zanash

no doubt you will all be able to tell us how you got on with unit or are you all basing you comments on nothing more than your own prejudices ?

zanash, May 30, 2009
  13. Tenson

Neil

Zanash - I hope you don't mind if I comment here - the problem is the marketing hype accompanying these products rather than the products themselves; and the cost!
    I say this as someone who has tried many "tweaks" and additions to various systems. To elucidate: in the marketing blurb there is the mention of military/medical use of similar technology (thinks: serious stuff....must be good). Then I wonder how does it works?/what's the evidence?, that sort of thing. I read further to find "Use a QRT purifier and you’ll experience a lower noise floor, greater clarity and separation and increased dynamic range, qualities that are just as apparent (and measurable) when it comes to the color, definition and detail on your AV display as they are in the context of a really great stereo set up." Hurrah!, I think, it's measurable - let's go find out about that .... but then is my context "a really great stereo set up"?
    Graphs and figures follow so I take a look but then find "The complex nature of the test signal makes comparison of results and assessment of differences far from easy or obvious". I consider downloading the pdfs for a bit of rigorous scrutiny but save that for another day. I conclude by reading the section on set up etc and find (surprise!) that multiple units etc will pay an "unexpected dividend" - in more ways than one I guess ;-). I think that even Mr Andrews (I have quite a lot of time for him - great salesman and knowledgeable chap) would smile at that!

Neil, May 30, 2009
  14. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

I'm basing mine on common sense, something which is lacking in your comments. You are the guy who believes freezing CDs is a good idea.

Nordost are a nonsense company flogging nonsense products backed up by nonsense "science fiction" sales patter. Here's another example.

The Devil, May 30, 2009
  15. Tenson

Joe

At least the Nordost thing says it's an advert. But what baffles me is the Munich show bit; it doesn't say it's an advert (unless I'm going blind) but it reads just like an extended advert for the various manufacturers.

Joe, May 30, 2009
  16. Tenson

zanash

I've not tired the unit or seen the advertising .....

but I would not be so arrogant nor ignorant to pass comment on something that I've no experience with let alone tried in my own system ....

Some people want you to believe that though the have not tried ..used ...heard..... listened etc ..

that they are right where as everyone else is wrong ..just because it offends some preconceived idea that they may have formed because they don't like the idea ...advert ..size of advert spread ....etc

I'd much prefer to have an opinion from some one that actually listened to the unit ....than theses so call audiophobes who at the drop of a hat will tell you all sorts of things as long as it fits into there preconceived notions of what they think is right [or fits with their so called common sense].

So I take it no one has actually heard the thing ?.......but your still willing to run it into the ground ......geez talk about closed minds !

zanash, May 30, 2009
  17. Tenson

The Devil IHTFP

If someone told you that smearing jam on your amplifier was beneficial, you'd have the same daffy open-mindedness. What happens when you receive an email from Africa telling you that you've just won 1.5 million US dollars?

The Devil, May 30, 2009
  18. Tenson

tuga

Thats reviewing all right, "an extended advert for the various manufacturers".

Audio rule no. 1: never read audio magazines. (or stick to consumer electronics)

tuga, May 30, 2009
  19. Tenson

Neil

Zanash - I have "heard" the original Quantum Symphony (which was, I think, a less powerful(? or whatever term one uses for the effect created?) version of the units mentioned. I'd still try one of the newer units BUT the effect of the original was zero (I know - wrongly placed / needed more etc). But I strongly feel that the effects of spending almost £1000 should be very noticeable indeed.
    You could buy e.g. A hi-cap if you were a Naim person / a rather nice interconnect and matching speaker cable set / some power cords / decent cartridge / a reasonable amplifier or CD player etc.
    Any comment on my original response?
    I'm not having a go at tweaking as such - I've aftermarket power cords and reasonably pricey interconnects and speaker cable, in fact I even have some equipment feet which I found made a difference.

Neil, May 30, 2009
  20. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

I actually like Hi-Fi Plus very much, and I am not trying to put the mag down (no pun intended) or its editing at all. I was simply sceptical of the science of the product given that they advertise it as 'good sound needs good science'. I thought I'd put this out to someone who might know more! To me it reflects nothing on the mag, as they need to take advertising to run the thing. In fact I think it might be no coincidence the Hi-Fi Heretic column is on the very next page!

Tenson, May 30, 2009
Ask a Question