Bit warm for Valves isn't it?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jun 6, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin

Any of you guys find this warm weather a bit much when it comes to a long listening session with your Class A amplification?

Got my new baby up and running today. Pro's are I've been listening without fatigue for four hours. Minuses are I think I've lost a few pounds!

NB Apologies to our Scottish users who may find this irelevent;)

merlin, Jun 6, 2004
  2. merlin

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Valves in the summer can be a bit on the hot side depending on your room & the amp in question. In the early days of valve ownership, I used to use an Audio Innovations Series 500. This was rated at 25 watts per channel. This would dish out a minimum of 50 watts of waste (heat etc) energy. During hot days, it was a case of mimimum clothes & cool drinks.:cool: In the winter, you could turn the central heating down.

It's not a problem with the 9 watts Border Patrol amp I use most of the time. I remember using a pair of 845 valve Audion Quatro monos a few years a go. They were room heaters!:eek:

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 7, 2004
  3. merlin

ditton happy old soul

I can see the headlines now:

'Scots got hots for Class A rocks'

ditton, Jun 7, 2004
  4. merlin

titian

Not only summer is hot but winter also: last year I already let one of the radiators disinstalled (transfered in a room in the basement). I am thinking seriously to disinstall the last one in order to have a bit more space. I will have to pay also less taxes since it won't be anymore recognized as 'a room'.

I am considering the possibility of purchasing next year a 32 tube phono stage: then I won't need a sauna!:D

titian, Jun 7, 2004
Ask a Question