BitPerfect for iTunes on OSX

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Aug 25, 2011.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

One of the main issues repeatedly voiced over the use of iTunes has been the inability of the software to change sample rates and bit depth on the fly.
    So while iTunes will play, for example, 24/96 files you need to manually change midi settings every time which can be a pain.

Player add-ons such as Amarra get round the issue but as considerable cost, but now there is a solution which seems to work extremely well and only costs £2.99.

It sits in the background so you use the iTunes software as usual.
    It also 'hogs' the output feed preventing other applications using you commuter output.

Well worth a look:

http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/

RobHolt, Aug 25, 2011
  2. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

Rob, Do you feel up to doing a thread about implementing EQ on the Mac to help room issues?

Tenson, Aug 26, 2011
  3. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Tried BP this week, I get the distinct feeling it doesn't make anything sound better, on the contrary in fact.

sq225917, Aug 26, 2011
  4. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

It should just switch sample rates and bit depth.
    Don't see why it should sound any different.

RobHolt, Aug 26, 2011
  5. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

I'll pen something next week, given the weekend is given over to prototyping the exciting new box :)
    Got mains testing results to write up also for the reference room.

RobHolt, Aug 26, 2011
  6. RobHolt

felix part-time Horta

Will look forward to both these articles :)

Esp. your take on the latter. Have some own thoughts on this - and about 50kG of transformers to get rid of ;)

felix, Aug 26, 2011
  7. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Martin,

Probably not too dissimilar to your view :)

In a nutshell, mains impedance might matter in some instances but you are pretty much stuck with what arrives at the house - what comes after in terms of wiring, plugs and sockets doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. I haven't tried any filters or regeneration.

The testing was fairly extreme as you might expect and all audio samples can be downloaded. But that's for later.

RobHolt, Aug 26, 2011
  8. RobHolt

felix part-time Horta

Well I'll look forward to it anyway. Might inspire a few more tests before I weigh-in the spare copper ;)

Upshot: I haven't found anything that some sympathetic snubbing (parts cost - bobbins) doesn't pretty much address entirely, or at least more cleanly and about -60 dB£ compared with equiv *grossly* oversized screeened iso transformers!

Edit for obvious exception: sustained AC supply overvoltage. For this, appropriate use of a filament transformer or similar to 'buck' can both fix the over-voltage , and reduce the supplied impedance. I'm still messing with this approach, it may be of use elsewhere %)

felix, Aug 28, 2011
  9. RobHolt

felix part-time Horta

[You know Rob, in the natural order of the audiophool world we should keep such things to ourselves / merely claim rare&esoteric knowledge - as opposed to basic kitchen-table Physics; and then sell something in a huge box with a nice milled ally faceplate at about >£1K per, well, just because. ]

OK I am not quite that cynical, but getting there - fast.

NB obvious Beginner's mistake - we should have saved doing any serious enquiry at all ;)

felix, Aug 28, 2011
  10. RobHolt

SteveS1

Are you sure Simon? I can't see how Hog mode or loading tracks into memory could worsen the sound.

Steve

SteveS1, Aug 30, 2011
  11. RobHolt

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Well if they aren't done correctly.... it certainly sounds no better and i've now removed it from my mac after a little test session yesterday at a friends house in cambridge, (he works for ARM)

sq225917, Aug 31, 2011
Ask a Question