blank minidisc's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rob, Oct 5, 2004.

1. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

anyone know of a good sourse for cheap blank md's?

cheers,

Rob.

rob, Oct 5, 2004
  2. rob

Saab

I get mine from Ebay

Saab, Oct 5, 2004
  3. rob

Rory satisfied

only ones i don't recommend are the TDK RXG74s btw. tend to skip after 3rd or 4th re-usage.

if you want bling, get the Sony ES range :D

Rory, Oct 5, 2004
  4. rob

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

im new to md's , are they like cdr's where you can get recordable ones and re recordable?
    also im using a portable recorder and was wondering would it be worth my while buying a stand alone unit?
    so many questions , if i was to look for a stand alone unit it would only have to be for play back only as my portable can record so what do you guys recon?
    cheers,
    Rob.

rob, Oct 5, 2004
  5. rob

wflem007

My last lot were 20 TDK80's for £20 from Maplins.

I usally get mine from Richers but they were out of stock. Can't get enough of them in - so much for the so called decline in MD.............

wflem007, Oct 5, 2004
  6. rob

wflem007

Rob

I find MD brilliant for my compilations - much easier and neater to use/edit than plain cassette.

I did look at CD-R at the time but considered it a pain in the ass if I got it wrong so I went MD. Never looked back.

If you record properly on it you will find it very hard to tell the difference between it and CD (I can't reliably anyway)

Go for a full size machine, and try for Sony. A 940 would be perfect and you can pick these up very reasonably. I use one, and also the big daddy, a 555ES. I had a small Sharp portable as well but it was too much hassle to use so I didn't perservere with it.

Truth be told, the 940 doesn't give that much away to the 555.

The discs themselves are very dinky - you buy them as blanks and then you record to them via annalogue or digital cable.

Try these links for further info

http://www.minidisct.com/forum/index.php?s=

http://members.rogers.com/jazhc539/minidisc.html

http://www.minidisct.com/

http://forums.minidisc.org/

wflem007, Oct 5, 2004
  7. rob

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Sony, TDK or Maxell ones all seem to work fine for me. I did have trouble with a batch of the TDK RXG74s, where my MDS-JE480 refused to record to them initially. Fixed that by dropping the blank MD onto the floor (I found this out by dropping one accidentally) and they seem to work OK, although I now use 80 minute discs now.

I tend to buy whatever is on offer - HMV often have 3 for 2 offers on TDK 80 min MDs - works out about £9 for 15 discs or so.

Like wflem007, I found CD-R to be a pain - I had a Sony RCD-W3 CD recorder for a while, but traded it in for my NAD CDP, which means much better CD playback and. If I need CD-R facilities, I use the PC. The PC also gives me the editing facilities that a standalone CD-R deck doesn't. But for personal use, MD is great for compilations/recording stuff for on the move or use in the gym.

Anyone tried any of the Hi-MD players at all? I've got a NetMD recorder (an MZ-N500) but never got on with the NetMD features and instead use it as my main portable MD.

nsherin, Oct 5, 2004
  8. rob

analoguekid Planet Rush

My wife uses MD for her aerobics classes, the beauty is you can add and subtract tracks and change their order without rerecording, with a standalone you canusualy edit and fade tracks in and out, never done an ab comparison, but when fed frm a good source the quality is pretty good, the seperate is much better than the portable when it comes to recording quality though, and is definatley better for playback.

analoguekid, Oct 5, 2004
  9. rob

andrew1810

The deleting tracks is especially useful when you use the PC-MD kit to record MP3's - I found 3 extra tracks copied across, all stupid windows sounds!!!

I use Sony MD's but that is just because they seem better built than the others and all shops sell them!

Haven't used NetMD but I use the extra Atrac functions on my 940 (which I bought a couple of weeks ago for £100!) to record extra mp3's to one disk

andrew1810, Oct 5, 2004
  10. rob

wflem007

Nsherin

Looked at the NetMD but didn't go any further - fear of technology I'm afraid is the real reason.

Hi MD involves buying new kit and after mortaging my soul for the Sony 555ES I am not gonna start on another new format. Ordinary MD sounds fine for me.

Same goes for SACD and DVD-A

wflem007, Oct 6, 2004
  11. rob

gshayer

having used most brands sony have worked best for me especially the PR series PRMD-74, professional use disc, bit expensive but i think its worth it.

gshayer, Oct 6, 2004
  12. rob

Larkin

Larkin, Oct 6, 2004
  13. rob

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

last batch i bought were tdk 80's from argos,about £9 for 10,seen to work fine,wether theyll last as long as the maxwell ones i got throwen in free when i bought a 510 sevral years ago,i use them for sound effects and the've done reused alot and still work fine.ive a portable that gets hooked up to the p.c, via digatal,if i need to record anything that been played around with, otherwise its the mj440.

themadhippy, Oct 6, 2004
  14. rob

Mark67

Does any one know where in the UK I can get some Pro quality Minidiscs?

TDK do an XA pro but I cannot find anywhere in the UK that sells them, do you?

Thanks

Mark67, Oct 8, 2004
  15. rob

gshayer

gshayer, Oct 8, 2004
  16. rob

Mark67

Isn't it just :)

Never really been a fan of any Sony blank media.

I used to use TDK tapes and then moved to Minidisc years ago and found TDK blank Minidiscs excellent quality and made excellent copies.

Mark67, Oct 8, 2004
  17. rob

Mark67

The TDK pro is called MD-RXG Pro in the UK.

Had a look with google but not much luck. Anyone know where I can get some?

Cheers

Mark67, Oct 8, 2004
  18. rob

Larkin

Larkin, Oct 8, 2004
Ask a Question