bloody valve amps blowing up again

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, May 12, 2006.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

thanks 1 and all.

If I did move to another amp, it would unlikely be another valve amp. I crave 'fit and forget'.

Its just a general moan. With every valve amp Ive ever had (must be on about my sixth by now) you get some capacitor popping or valve blowing every year or so. Thats life with valves.

bottleneck, May 13, 2006
  2. bottleneck

Stereo Mic

My Rotel AV amp has popped an internal fuse 4 times in 3 years.

Quite common apparently.

I recommend auditioning some solid state alternatives anyway. Try some Sugden - Alex's sounds quite nice, although they do on second thoughts have a reputation for blowing up!

Stereo Mic, May 13, 2006
  3. bottleneck

to top it all off, my valve DAC is making mad clicky noises (sort of not-locking on) noises fairly consistantly.

maybe it needs a new valve too..

bottleneck, May 13, 2006
  4. bottleneck

Stereo Mic

Maybe one of your flamenco cd's is skipping?

Stereo Mic, May 13, 2006
  5. bottleneck

I've turned the whole lot off till my friendly valve repair man can take a look.

This is what I mean though, why be without music?

That is the reality of living with valves, you occasionally get left without a system, unless you carry spare amps.

bottleneck, May 13, 2006
  6. bottleneck

lordsummit moderate mod

It is a worry. Mine went bang last year, but seems to be alright at the minute. I guess it's just a matter of time until it does it again.....

lordsummit, May 13, 2006
  7. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Mine came with three spare fuses and a promise that only valves go pop, not the amp... time will tell.

Tony.

TonyL, May 13, 2006
  8. bottleneck

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

Headphones tend to be my back up although the answer lies in not selling the kit you move on from. I'm lucky enough to have my Unison S6 and Opera Superpavarottis on TV duty in the bedroom. It feels kind of indulgent especially as some folks will not even have that but it makes a change from the years of relying on one bit of kit. If my pre or powers went down I've got a spare, likewise the speakers. Having vinyl, radio and CD plus headphones does give some nice back up. I count that I've got 5 bits of kit dependent on valves but failing a lightning strike or power-cut I will not be without music. I know how you feel though Chris.

What has happened though, is one of your amps working too hard as suggested by a few posters?

Paul L, May 13, 2006
  9. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

Chris,

Can you borrow an amp for now from a friend? I'm afraid I can only offer a Denon AV amp.

Dev, May 13, 2006
  10. bottleneck

Im ok..

I've had a good play tonight, and I think its just a few new input valves on the power amp.

£30 should set it straight..

bottleneck, May 13, 2006
  11. bottleneck

anubisgrau

this issue has brought me back to old thoughts - finding SS pre that sounds like tube (and can match atc actives).

anyone tried tom evans vibe? there's an early version (not lithos 7) for sale for reasonable money. i remember reading that it sounds so warm and musical, almost like a valve one. i am wondering if it would be a better choice than ATC's own CA2

despite it doesn't have balanced inputs, i would still love to try it. anyone familiar with it?

anubisgrau, May 14, 2006
  12. bottleneck

Tenson Moderator

There isn't really very much to go wrong in valve pre-amps. Especially if it uses SS rectification.

Tenson, May 14, 2006
  13. bottleneck

Stereo Mic

No it doesn't - although only badly designed valve preamps sound warm. IME you need better power amplfication to really gain the full benefits of the Vibe, but it's certainly not what most people would call warm.

Stereo Mic, May 14, 2006
  14. bottleneck

My favourite amps (pre and power) tend to have valve rectified choke power supplies.

I can't pretend to be technical enough to understand the pro's and cons.

I once had a valve rectified power amp.. and took the valve rectification out in favour of solid state. Suddenly the dynamic exciting sound was replaced with something more turgid and slow sounding.

I don't understand electronics and their may have been other factors influencing the change.

FOr me right now, I think a valve change is in order.. thats probably all it is..... but god do I miss ''fit and forget'' of solid state...

and come to think of it, a small stereo that doesn't take up your whole living room.

someone predicted they could see me selling the lot and getting a B&O system, and I can see it too... makes perfect sense actually.. decent if not earth shattering sounds, and you get your living room back..

bottleneck, May 14, 2006
  15. bottleneck

Robbo

Hmm. I sense the influence of a female :)

Robbo, May 14, 2006
  16. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Nooooooooo.......:cry: :cry: :cry:

RobHolt, May 14, 2006
  17. bottleneck

Well maybe theres a happy medium.... a smaller rack, single box cd player and amp, and a pair of standmounts with the new sub.

A LA your good self !

:)

bottleneck, May 14, 2006
  18. bottleneck

Baudrillard

Chris,

If you've still got sensitive speakers of say 93 plus, then why not invest in a Sonic T-amp for a whopping $30 to use as a back up. Was using one for a while and it has a very fluid and transparent presentation. Being only 5/6 watts into 8ohms it still goes plenty loud in a small room. You could do worse for emergencies.

Baudrillard, May 14, 2006
  19. bottleneck

Stereo Mic

Definately a woman problem.

And Chris, you seem to be going through one of those disillusioned periods we all get when we convince ourselves we don't need all these big boxes.

Take the Altecs out of the room and fill it with lots of lovely ornaments, artwork, and bookcases. Watch home improvement shows nightly on Sky+ and spend your weekends at DIY superstores working out what you can do with four sheets of MDF and some gloss paint. Coffee at Starbucks, gaze into each other's eyes whilst checking out value for money futons in the Sunday Times Magazine.

Nah, I'd stick with the hifi. Music's more rewarding IMO that interior design - although I suspect our very own Lawrence might disagree. Why not try some SBL's?

Stereo Mic, May 14, 2006
  20. bottleneck

Robbo

Chris, looks like you need to change your sig.

Although it sounds like you are changing one type of horn for another which is probably a lot of fun. At least in the short term!

Robbo, May 14, 2006
Ask a Question