boo hoo

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by midlifecrisis, May 27, 2004.

1. midlifecrisis

michaelab desafinado

Paul - the point is, of what relevance is the guy's ethnic origin?

If he had been white would you have said "some white guy"? No, so the fact that his ethnicity was mentioned implies that it had something to do with his actions...as in "some drunk bloke".

Michael.

michaelab, May 30, 2004
  2. midlifecrisis

analoguekid Planet Rush

Wish I could put it as succinctly as that Michael.

analoguekid, May 30, 2004
  3. midlifecrisis

johnhunt recidivist

actually i'm with paul on this one.

johnhunt, May 30, 2004
  4. midlifecrisis

lordsummit moderate mod

As Michael said, would any of us have felt the need to say some white guy crashed into me, I think not. The need to draw attention to someone's ethnicity is suggestive that there is some fundamental difference. I for one minute do not think that there was racist malice in the thought, but words used carelessly can cause much offence.

lordsummit, May 31, 2004
  5. midlifecrisis

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Took the car to the garage this morning. Looks like the intercooler could be damaged. I dont think this guy is going to be able to afford the repairs. Hopefully it will be a minor fault, that could even be fixed under warranty, if that was not found to be the cause, but I definitely aint holding my breath here.

PBirkett, Jun 1, 2004
  6. midlifecrisis

Mart Smog Dodger

Mart, Jun 4, 2004
  7. midlifecrisis

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Damn right!

Gonna chase up the garage today, see if I can get a courtesy car if its going to take a while. 2 days without a car and I'm already going mad! :mad:

PBirkett, Jun 4, 2004
  8. midlifecrisis

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

So am I - PC has gone waaaaaay too far; there's nothing there that Paul said that COULD be misconstrued as racist unless you're some total pinko wuss with too much time on your hands, I'm afraid.

SO we didn't need to KNOW the person was asian, but let's face it - Paul was telling an anecdote of what happened to him, and anecdotes need details.

If you take this kind of stance, why not moan about all the jokes about "An Englishman, an Irishman..." or the ones about blind people or people in wheelchairs or whatever.

Come on FFS - lighten up! I'd not mind betting many other races take the pee out of whites all the time, but of course, we can't even say that in this country can we, without being labelled BNP boot boy scum....

Just remember - it's PC that's got us where we are today - high levels of crime and youth gone nuts.

ON topic! - sorry to see the state of the motor, Paul, but, he he, try 28 years 11 months and 11 days without a car... - that's a loooooong time :) Just wait until you get yours back though - it'll be one hell of a rush! BTW - my bike has to go in for servicing next week (I've worn out the bottom bracket by ragging it - urm, so much for "rugged off-road downhill sprint performance" machine - arse!) so I'll be in a similar boat for a while. Ah well, might have it upgraded to disc brakes - he he!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2004
    domfjbrown, Jun 4, 2004
  9. midlifecrisis

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Haha, good one dom, ride that bike to destruction!!

I rang up today and a new wing and bumper are needed, and the intercooler was cracked and had to be replaced. I bet turbo intercoolers arent cheap either. Hopefully I shall get it back by the middle of next week at the latest.

PBirkett, Jun 4, 2004
  10. midlifecrisis

analoguekid Planet Rush

Intercooler shouldn't be too expensive as it's basically just a radiator, although knowing car dealers and the fact that it's an insurance job.....

And when i suggested that Paul's comment could be misconstrued as rascist, I was mearly giving friendly warning, did not mean for it to get blown all out of proportion, and in no way do I think he is a rascist, but we have to remember that this board is run by and paid for by Michael, and as such we should be careful of WHATEVER we post as it's his ass on the line if the shit hits the fan.

Subject closed lets move on.

Paul

analoguekid, Jun 4, 2004
  11. midlifecrisis

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The guy has admitted liability to the insurance company so it looks like this will all have a happy ending. To be fair, that is a good thing to do, I had a feeling he might try to wiggle out of it, but apparently not...

Top bloke, it has to be said.

PBirkett, Jun 4, 2004
  12. midlifecrisis

Mart Smog Dodger

Paul, if your stuck for gettin anywhere while you carless, gimmee a ring, no probs, Mart:D

Mart, Jun 4, 2004
  13. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

still another two weeks till I get the Elise back from the repairers - at which point we can guarantee the weather will change back to drizzle...

midlifecrisis, Jun 7, 2004
  14. midlifecrisis

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully it wont be long now.

Midlife hope yours gets sorted alright. Something of a "sods-law" going on there when I originally replied to your thread that similar thing should happen to me :rolleyes:

PBirkett, Jun 7, 2004
Ask a Question