Border Patrol or McIntosh, Valve power amp advice needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mike P, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Mike P

aaudioman aaudioman

reply to MikeP on which amp to choose

if you like rock and roll or a lot of jazz than the MC is the way to go , for mellow music quartets, and voices , than the Border P

aaudioman, Jan 9, 2006
  2. Mike P

Paul V

Aaudioman posted :-

"if you like rock and roll or a lot of jazz than the MC is the way to go , for mellow music quartets, and voices , than the Border P".

At least in the context of my system, I disagree entirely. With OBX-Rs my BP plays rock and jazz perfectly well. The above quote makes BPs sound like like lily-livered lightweights, which with the right ancillaries and speakers they're certainly not. Take sweeping statements with a pinch of salt and listen for yourself, Mike.

Paul

Paul V, Jan 9, 2006
  3. Mike P

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I wouldnt say that is necessarily the case. Western Electric 300b's are expensive, but you could buy a set of KR Audio 845's which would set you back just as much.

845/211/805 tubes have a stronger vacuum which typically makes the valve last 3-4 times as long, but the actual tube prices arent that different.

bottleneck, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Mike P

Freejon

Not exactly what you are asking for but sort of in the same area - just noticed on www.hifiguy.co.uk - two Audion Silver Knight 300B together with 2 Border Patrol power supplies. £1800 asked.

Just in case it's of interest.

Jon

Freejon, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Mike P

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Quite a bit outside my budget Freejon, but thanks for the heads-up anyway!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Mike P

Mike P

Many thanks for all of your feeback everyone. I have not had a chance to do anything yet because of travelling for work. I am around a bit more during February and hope to be able to do some serious listening then. I will try to post my findings in due course!

Best regards,

Mike

Mike P, Feb 4, 2006
  7. Mike P

unclepuncle

Hi Mike

As no one else has mentioned them I wondered if you had considered Esoteric Audio Research amps. I had an 869 recently which was quite wonderful. Beautifully made and nicer than most valve amps from a cosmetic point of view IMHO - or perhaps I just have a chrome fetish:) . Loads of models to choose from as well depending on how much power you like/need. Many of them also have balanced inputs as well which would suit the Wadia.

About 3 years ago I had a Wadia 21 and a set of Avatars and used them at various times with an EAR 864 preamp and a pair of Audion Silver Night 300B P/P monoblocs, and also a Rogue 66 power amp. Definitely sounded better through the preamp than using the Wadias volume direct into the power amps - though your more recent Wadia may have a more advanced volume control.

I also bought my Avatars from Kevin at Definitve and have to say that the sounds he was getting from his modified Canary integrated (CA-608LV I think) were pretty special - I dread to think how nice the Canary 300B amps might sound.

unclepuncle, Feb 4, 2006
Ask a Question