Bouncy subwoofer

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by the-chauffeur, Apr 8, 2008.

1. the-chauffeur

the-chauffeur

Hey folks - newbie alert . . . go easy . . . please . . .

I've just swapped my REL Strata II for a Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior. Several reasons for the swap - firstly, the Sunfire is a quarter the size of the REL (and the space I'm in shrank considerably when I bought a pair of Martin Logan Ascent's a couple of weeks back), secondly, the Sunfire's push-pull design and lack of cabinet makes for incredibly accurate cone/bass response, fast enough to match the panel speed of the speakers and thirdly, the REL's power transformer has a resonant frequency that doesn't work well in the room (in other words, it hums a bit too loud for my liking).

But as I've found, such a powerful sub in such a small box (2x7in drivers, powered by a 1200w amp in a 9in sq cube) is not without its drawbacks. Initially, I found it hard to tune to the room, but having overcome that hurdle, it sounds fine. Until it reaches some of the lower frequencies and the drivers get very excited . . . at which point, the sub shakes itself about and rattles like hell. The previous owner has fitted cone spikes to the underside (they're supplied with little rubber feet as standard), which help a little, but like all of my other gear, the sub stands on a concrete plinth - hit the right bass notes, and again, it skips.

Short of mass loading it (which I think may be the long term answer), any suggestions on the best way to cut out the dancing? I've tried sticking a piece of soft wood between the spikes and the plinth, and again, they damp the effects, but don't comletely cure them.

Thanks for your interest.

Neil

the-chauffeur, Apr 8, 2008
  2. the-chauffeur

ShinOBIWAN

Remove the spikes and use generous amounts of blu-tak to keep it stuck down or place something heavy on top.

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 8, 2008
Ask a Question