brass bands

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by normanmc, Nov 13, 2008.

1. normanmc

normanmc normanmc

would like any comments on listening to brass bands and what equipment you use. thank you normanmc

normanmc, Nov 13, 2008
  2. normanmc

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Usually my ears.

sq225917, Nov 13, 2008
  3. normanmc

Graffoeman

This is my preference........

[​IMG]

Graffoeman, Nov 13, 2008
  4. normanmc

lbr monkey boy

lol :D

Personally I can't listen to brass band music at home (I like Brass Monkey, but I don't class that as brass band music). It's not a hifi thing per se, but I do find that it's a musical genre I can only stomach live. I think, for me, it needs the whole visual pomp thing going on to maintain any slight level of interest.

lbr, Nov 13, 2008
  5. normanmc

D Louth 77

normanmc

Hi. I am not into brass band music. But I know a guy who is. I helped him get some of his system. He picked it on the basis of some home demos.

This is what he has A Wadia transport, MF tri-vista dac, Dared 845 valve amp and Triangle speakers. I was out of my depth a bit as I was unable to know how say Cornets sound. This very nice guy turned to me and said one time. "Yes, thats nice but Son those Cornets don't sound like that." This guy picked his gear. I brought it down and he said what he like and didn't like.

Its guys like this I will miss now being out of the work( made redundant) I loved so much. He always used to ask why Brass Band music isn't used more in audio reviews. Lets be honest its not to everyone taste but, it will test your system in many ways. I am not so sure my set up would do justice to it.

Regards to you NormamMC D Louth

D Louth 77, Nov 13, 2008
  6. normanmc

lbr monkey boy

Definitely - as well as cornets you've got your flugelhorns, your tenor horns, your bass trombones, your tenor trombones, your tubas...

lbr, Nov 14, 2008
  7. normanmc

Andy 831

Living in the Lancashire/ Yorkshire border region, brass bands are almost a way of life. Most of the collierys used to have a brass band associated with them (and still do) Almost every village or small town also has its own brass band.

From a personal viewpoint its a sound I generally like, its always a sound that "feels like home"

What I dislike about brass is when it is used to play a classical symphony or modern popular music, for me it just does not do it, however well thought out "brass music" composed by people from a brass band background for me can be a fantastic sound, dynamic, moody, gentle or full balls out!!!! .....its just a good sound and so difficult to reproduce with any real accuracy

Andy 831, Nov 16, 2008
  8. normanmc

kmac

an old mate is a conductor of a brass band and also plays the euphonium( amonst other things)

He's not int Hifi at all but has some Yamaha NSM1000 speakers but nowdays mostly uses his Ipod with Monitor Audio doc and speaker kit

He has a large brass band collection of CDs which I guesshe has ripped for his Ipod

kmac, Nov 17, 2008
  9. normanmc

ditton happy old soul

ditton, Nov 18, 2008
  10. normanmc

giant haystacks

Norman i love listening to music and what is our reference .
    We need to listen to more live instruments, I dont like going to concerts but i have loved Orchestra the few times i have heard it really tells a story .
    But on a big day in July a brass band which came third in the European championships for brass bands were marching through my village. and i was wiped out.
    This is our hifi reference it had a real living sense of movement and the big drum was tuned so tight i was not expecting this surprise it had so much energy .
    If you are a musician you are the one to judge the sound .
    If you are looking for a amplifier if you know one called a Leak stereo 20 but this is the most sought after amplifier on the internet why well they sound so good or tl 12s i have seen rough ones go for 100pounds each and so many simple modifications can be done .
    There is a little bookshelf speaker out with a single 4 inch driver called john blue jb4 .but they are ruthlessly cruel on weak amplification . This speaker has it all and bass that would flow out the door really natural and under 600 pounds apair.
    As i am close to Belfast i can give you a lend of a type 45 triode amplifier to try. This is the darling of the lowther users but the john blue has everything these 2 would sound good in a greenhouse. im up your way most sat morning

giant haystacks, Nov 22, 2008
  11. normanmc

giant haystacks

HI just for all those interested probably n
    N.ireland
    Not 100% yet on time but wait for it .
    Corey brass band from Wales who are world champions
    are playing in Castlecaufield church of ireland in County tyrone next Sunday just not sure of time.
    I was wiped out by marching brass band which came third in the European championships i may never be able to post again after next Sunday .
    When we are on about church some of these big pipe organs can be very impressive .you can hear this sort of thing on radio 2. The organist entertains hosted by Nigel Ogden better than that you can get his show on the internet and listen while you post on zero gain .
    if anyone is interested i may have 100 (oficially blank tapes) organist entertains show early 90s say no more pm and we can talk giant haystacks

giant haystacks, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question