bridging tube amps for mono

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by blakeaudio, Oct 6, 2004.

1. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

what affect does this have (if any...) on sound quality? clearly you get a power boost, but what are the pros and cons of using tube amp in this configuration?

blakeaudio, Oct 6, 2004
  2. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

does anyone have experience bridging stereo tube amps for mono?

blakeaudio, Oct 8, 2004
  3. blakeaudio

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

I don't think it will really gain you anything.

Bridging will make the amp see half of the impedance of the speakers ie 8 ohm becomes 4 ohm. Valve amps are great within their operating parameters but frequently fail when trying to drive low impedance speakers.

IIRC paralleling may be a better option, not that I know how to do it. Paralleling will give more apparent drive by upping the voltage/current but not the watts. This may be a better option.

LiloLee, Oct 8, 2004
  4. blakeaudio

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

:confused:

Watts = Voltage x Current.

However, almost universally power outputs are quoted as a function of the output voltage (VxV/R), so I guess you mean increases the current, which paralleling would do, but I am not sure how you'd do this...

Bridging requires the amplifier to be designed for it (the amplifier must have a single-ended output and requires one channel to be inverted) really, unless you really know what you're doing with modifying it.

I-S, Oct 8, 2004
  5. blakeaudio

Croc

Croc, Oct 8, 2004
  6. blakeaudio

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Issac, that's why I leave the clever stuff to you guys.

I'll try and get an answer from a guy I know who has both bridged and paralleled up some Quad II's. All I know is that he prefered the results with paralleling them.

LiloLee, Oct 8, 2004
  7. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

my amp has a switch to turn it into a mono (bridged configuration) amp. i was trying to figure out if it was worth getting a second one to then run in this state. it is supposed to give 110 watts like this. it sounds nice the way it is, and i was curious if it would affect the sound quality running it bridged. i thought the increase in power would perhaps, tighten the sound up at high spl's....

blakeaudio, Oct 8, 2004
Ask a Question