Brief history of disbelief - Jonathan Miller

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Devil, Oct 12, 2004.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

BBC4 series, 1st programme last night.

Jonathan Miller is a bit of an old windbag thesp, but this new series is a must-see for any others out there who believe, as I do, that religion & belief in God is essentially immoral.

Anyone else catch this?

The Devil, Oct 12, 2004
  2. The Devil

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I watched it, it was very good indeed. I hope to remember to watch the remaining programs - It's about time someone spoke up for us sceptics. I guess I'm technically agnostic rather than atheist, find me a god I can physically kick and I'll believe it's there… disbeliever is a very good word.

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 12, 2004
  3. The Devil

Matt F

I used to believe in god but then I used to believe in Father Christmas back then too!

Matt.

Matt F, Oct 13, 2004
  4. The Devil

midlifecrisis Firm member

I'm an atheist and annoyed I missed it - but struggle with the 'immoral' bit, given that moral frameworks are surely by definition grounded in belief systems.. For me, religion is more of a cop-out that stops people having to confront difficult ideas. Oh dear, I have a horrible feeling this is all going to get very self righteous.. :SLEEP: I am quite amused by my liberal and religious friends who following current fashion seem to defend the thinking of all religions and cultures but kind of go into a loop when asked how it's acceptable for certain religions/culture to endorse marriage to 12 year-olds...

midlifecrisis, Oct 14, 2004
  5. The Devil

Saab

I don't agree its immoral,but I do think its immoral to teach religion in schools.Once at adult you are free to make your own mind up,so how is that immoral?

Saab, Oct 14, 2004
  6. The Devil

stickman

That isn't the best of logic. The fact I make up my own mind to become a serial killer doesn't make it any less immoral.

stickman, Oct 14, 2004
Ask a Question