Brits Going at It Tooth and Nail

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by auric, Mar 22, 2004.

1. auric

auric FOSS

Are the Brits leading the world in the field of hooking up using the newest of technologies?
    On reading this Wired Link it seems correct.
    So, is Toothing the new Dogging?

Auric:)

auric, Mar 22, 2004
  2. auric

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The birts have always lead the world

The TV was a British Invention (though it was Marconi's system that won)

The programmable computer was first made in Manchester

The Wolrd Wide Web was invented by a brit (Tim Burners Lee)

amazingtrade, Mar 22, 2004
  3. auric

Goomer

I'm not even going to make the joke about that statement.;)

Goomer, Mar 22, 2004
  4. auric

Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock, Mar 22, 2004
  5. auric

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Beleive it or not, there were many things invented and dicovered long before TV ;)

Maths, sciences, languages, medicine, building, the wheel, art, music, fabrics and using other materials, etc etc....

MO!, Mar 22, 2004
  6. auric

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Not strictly true. No one person invented television. A number of people were working on the idea of the 'telly'. Mst were using ideas that came before them.

John Logie Baird developed a working mechanical TV but Philo T Farnsworth (USA) developed a TV around a cathode ray tube. He had his ideas on paper before Logic Baird. His invention was the start of the modern tv.

Paul Nipkow (Germany), Karl Braun (Germany), Jean Weller, ( France), Boris Rosing (Russia), Alistair Campbell Swinton (England), D. Von Mihally (Hungray), Charles Francis Jenkins (USA) & Vladimir Zworykin (Russia) all had a hand in the development of the rtelevision from around 1884 to the early 1930s.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 22, 2004
  7. auric

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

That's right - Baird used a Kipkow disk in the camera and receiver for his "Telivisor".

How much less fun would I have had as a kid if I didn't have CRTs to implode.... (well, this is my mate as a not-so-small kid, but...)
    [​IMG]

I digress. 3 words: Isambard Kingdom Brunel - he engineered some of the most amazing stuff ever built, and much of it is still in use today - even if HSTs have to lumber across the Tamar Bridge at 10mph... ...which brings me onto the fact that for a very long time, we also had the fastest diesel loco in the world too :)

Babbage's "Analytical Engine" is actually the first programmable computer, "built" in the mid 1800s in Cambridge, I believe, though I don't think it was 'til recently that a fully working reproduction (it was never finished in its day) was built. Countess Ada Lovelace wrote the first program for it, and when they tested it on the fully functioning replica, it worked first time with no errors, despite the fact she never got to test it in her time. Microsuck would have done well to learn by her!

As far as I know we also invented the Industrial Revolution (much of the steam engine development happened in Britain). Mind you, we also invented the concentration camp, so it's not all good!

domfjbrown, Mar 23, 2004
  8. auric

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Ask a Question