BT Launching 1Mbps ADSL

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Oct 22, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/33537.html

...and I thought you all in the UK were advanced with this comms stuff ;) I've been using my 1Mbps ADSL at home in "backward" Portugal for over a year :cool: At 126 Euros a month though it's not cheap :eek: - but IMO it's worth every cent.

It's also been extremely reliable allthough a couple of weeks ago it was out for 3 days :mad: as a result of some server upgrades that didn't go terribly well. Still, one major outage in over a year isn't bad.

Michael

michaelab, Oct 22, 2003
  2. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

I've had 2Mbps ADSL for 2 years...

This is a launch of a new BT self-install 1Mbps service, but high speed ADSL has been available for some time now (not across the whole country, to be sure).

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2003
    sideshowbob, Oct 22, 2003
  3. michaelab

Sgt Rock

Baah and I've just got 512K ADSL :mad:

Sgt Rock, Oct 22, 2003
  4. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

had 1mbps cable for 18month
    2mbps is available aswell

penance, Oct 22, 2003
  5. michaelab

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I had 512k adsl in southampton, and thus I know anyone wanting more for home use is really just being greedy. What BT SHOULD be concentrating on is increasing coverage of ADSL, through the provision of RADSL service and the enabling of more exchanges. Britain is so far behind with broadband because the powers that be are satisfied with the 65% population coverage statistic, which is pretty dire.

Britain would be so far ahead of the rest of the world had the government accepted BT's offer shortly after privitisation to install fibre optic (as in capable of significantly higher data rates than cable or ADSL) to EVERY home in the UK, FREE OF CHARGE (to either the recipient or the government).

Yeah, you can tell I can't get broadband where I live now. </rant>

I-S, Oct 22, 2003
  6. michaelab

cookiemonster

I've had 56k for about 4yrs :D Hence i rarely use my home PC, unless the in laws are round, and things are desperate.

I'm not sure what we use at work, but its just a shade slower than lightning.....which is nice.

cookiemonster, Oct 23, 2003
  7. michaelab

auric FOSS

Scream If You Want To Go Faster . . .

ADSL Guide, a view of what makes people cheer, moan or laugh.

Auric:)

auric, Oct 23, 2003
  8. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

That ADSL guide is a great site. The people on there have solved my problems so many times. For example last week when my caller display unit was not working they instantly knew it was a problem with the type of filters I was using and told me which filter would solve the problem. They were right and the problem is now fixed.

I'm om 512kbps at moment too, but I believe the upgrade price to 1mbps will be quite cheap. I have four users at home, each are plugged into my ADSL router and I knever notice any speed drop but then the routers are clever at making sure one user does not hog all the bandwidth.

amazingtrade, Oct 23, 2003
  9. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Never knew this actually, and I always had BT down as a bunch of tight, stingy gits. Oh well, typical of this country as usual...

PBirkett, Oct 23, 2003
  10. michaelab

Mr_Sukebe

I wonder if the higher speed ADSL service from BT also has a 1Gb daily cap on it, as per the 512k service?

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 23, 2003
Ask a Question