Budget amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Roy, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Roy

Roy

Hello there, 4 months ago i was on this forum asking the same question, but unfortunatly i missed out on the great deals and went on holiday and forgot about it.
    now i come back, detirmined to get a new amplifier after my old one coz brutaly destroyed by my brother.

i used to have a 10 yr old hifi setup, since then the tuner, equaliser and amplifier have passed away. Now i seek a new amp, but i am not quite sure what im looking for here, it appears that my amplifier had something the others don't have, a system control, and i cant seem to find any amplifiers with this, i have, to be honest, no idea what it does, and im not willing to take any risks unless there are none.

anyway now to the point, can someone please suggest a couple of amplifiers which would suit my need? im not looking for one of those amazing £1500 ones, or rediculous amounts of power, i dont want to ruin them quite yet, im looking for one in the £200 and below range. i have 2 speakers 70w each (i might update them later, but 70w seems to suit my needs at the moment)

i want to be able to plug my cassette and cd player.
    ebay is my prefered choice, but new would also be very good.

thats about it, thanks for any help given.

Roy, Oct 12, 2005
  2. Roy

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

What about a nice second hand Marantz 6010KI? Or a PM7200 both should be in your budget.

The cambridge Azure range is well worth a look at too. You migh be able to stretch to a NAD C370 second hand which are truly great amps.

The budget Sony amps are supposed to sound a bit edgy, I heared the 920 once which didn't sound great.

amazingtrade, Oct 12, 2005
  3. Roy

Roy

have you seen any of those on ebay recently?

Roy, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Roy

lordsummit moderate mod

For £200 quid, you've got a fair few choices. Quad 33/303 or possibly 33/405. You should be able to get something from Cyrus or even a Nait 1 or for a little bit more a Nait 3 £250 is a shout of getting one of those these days.

lordsummit, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Roy

Roy

nah to be fairly honest £200 is already a bit over, so over £200 is not gonna happen. unles its the bargain of the year or something.

Roy, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Roy

lordsummit moderate mod

I'd do the Quads then, or perhaps an A+R Cambridge 60. That'll save you some money, then there's the Creek 4040 as well, or better still a 4140.

Just had a quick look on epay, Nait 3's are going for about £200. Go for one of those you won't regret it.

lordsummit, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Roy

inteificio

Hi,
    I just got back from hols so i missed the start of the thread. There is an amp on eBay that doesn't match your description but performs so far above its price and comes up so rarely I had to point it out.

There is a Rotel rb-991. These come up about once a year. You would need a seperate control amp (any rotel for at most £50).

The amp is more powerfull than you need but it outperforms everything I have heard below £8000 (which is conveniently the price of Krell Class A 200w, which sounds better).

I kow this is not what you were looking for but if it goes for a reasonable price GET IT.
    if you don't like it you can sell it for a similar price. This won't happen because you WILL like it.

inteificio, Oct 13, 2005
  8. Roy

Roy

haha thanks mate, i'll look for it now. to anyone reading this, this amp is mine :p

Roy, Oct 13, 2005
  9. Roy

Roy

just realised that he doesn't accept paypal... for the moment my option would be a Nait but again im not quite sure which. if anyone can suggest any other amplifiers please do

Roy, Oct 15, 2005
  10. Roy

Hodgesaargh

I'd get a Rotel.

Hodgesaargh, Oct 15, 2005
  11. Roy

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Instead of going for more modern stuff, I'd suggest saving your money and trying this Leak Stereo 30 Plus integrated - at the moment it's got no bids and is only £10! Just make sure the speaker connectors come with it, as they're not standard, and that the volume pots don't crackle.
    I had one of these a few years ago, which on the end of a pair of Kef 104/2s with Linn Axis TT made a very nice sound indeed...
    I had to spend a lot of money to beat it, and they're deeply unfashionable as everyone's obsessed with the Stereo 20 valve amp..

leonard smalls, Oct 15, 2005
  12. Roy

PaulH

I'd go for This on eBay.

For Marantz stuff try the PM66, or PM6010 and only get the ki versions.

Expect to pay ~£150 MAX for a minty-boxed one.

PaulH, Oct 16, 2005
  13. Roy

Roy

cheers, ill watch that one then

Roy, Oct 16, 2005
  14. Roy

Roy

i also recall densen beat being on my list a few months back... and it was at a very good price too... but its gone since, has anyone seen a fairly cheap densen beat? (i dont know which model i must add)

Roy, Oct 16, 2005
  15. Roy

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

If you want an amp for next to nothing I can fix you up with a Leak Stereo 70. I've even got a matching Leak Stereofetic tuner. If I'm being honest, I don't reckon the Leak solid state stuff was all that wonderful, although the 70 was better than the 30.

I have a friend who's sister is planning to sell her Quad 33/405. I could ask if she'd let you have it for £200 if you're interested. I know it's in good condition.

7_V, Oct 16, 2005
  16. Roy

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

If you are buying new, there is also the NAD C320BEE for arounf £220. Two tape loops and 50W per channel - although don't be fooled into the wattage numbers game, as this amp can go loud and still sound very good.

It errs on the side of warm - my preference, but to my ears offers plenty of detail, depth and a tight, punchy bass - even on dance tracks, without that horrible bass thump/boom.

All generes of music seem to sound good through it - from 60s/70s/80s rock/pop to jazz and classical. I use three sources with mine - the matching C521BEE CD player, a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 soundcard and a Pro-Ject Debut II turntable. All sound excellent through the C320BEE.

Other than that, perhaps a scout around eBay for used NAD C350/C370 amps?

nsherin, Oct 17, 2005
  17. Roy

ditton happy old soul

now that's quite a claim - would it make techno sound good to may ears? or James Last?

ditton, Oct 17, 2005
  18. Roy

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Well, it all depends on your music tastes or ears I suppose! :D

nsherin, Oct 17, 2005
  19. Roy

mr cat Member of the month

would james last sound good to anyones ears..? :)

mr cat, Oct 17, 2005
  20. Roy

Saab

The small ads will have A21a in at 300,if you can stretch

Saab, Oct 17, 2005
Ask a Question