Budget DVD Player Questions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ilockyer, Oct 3, 2003.

1. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

I'm looking to get a cheap DVD player. Amazon are doing this Yamaha 5520 DVD player for £39.99, is it the bargain it looks to be, anyone used one? I'm thinking about maybe putting together a small TV/DVD combination for the bedroom and this looks like quite a good place to start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000B0A4G/ref=ed_ec_h_cs_2_2/202-0858086-3849426

Or would I be better off waiting a month or so and spending twice as much on the Toshiba SD330?

Anyone got any better suggestions as to another option, looking at the budget end of things, <£80-90.

ilockyer, Oct 3, 2003
  2. ilockyer

robert_cyrus

it's yamaDa not yamaHa
    bought a "ronin" £50 dvd for my girlfriend. works fine with a 14" tv. though noticeably poor when i tried it on my 28" and compared with my pioneer 737.
    the tosh is a well known bargain, and a good make.
    there's also the pioneer 360 at £90
    or maybe the samsung e234 at £70
    personally i'd stick with the tosh, samsung or pioneer

robert_cyrus, Oct 3, 2003
  3. ilockyer

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Cheers for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise (and my guess is that's part of the reason behind the "branding" is that people won't read it too closely and buy something that ain't what they think it is), one of the problems with bad eyesight is sometimes reading things that are close enough to look like a word they aren't.

Will look into the others instead.

ilockyer, Oct 3, 2003
  4. ilockyer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yeah - I fell for that too - as did some of the people on the Amazon reviews bit - if I were YamaHa I'd be sueing as this is bad press for a good company (YamaHa DVDs are normally rebadged Panasonics so bloody good).

Ian - I'd double the budget (and skip that Exmouth gig!) and get a Tosh from Richers - decent enough and much more reliable...

domfjbrown, Oct 3, 2003
  5. ilockyer

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I paid £55 for my Compacks DVD5000, the picture easily rivals the entry Toshiba's, the sound is ok too, its full size, plays MP3s, MOV, MPEG2, WAV, and JPG files.

Build quality is also as good as products from better known makes, its also multiregion and I have a hack so you can record DVDs to VHS. :)

amazingtrade, Oct 3, 2003
  6. ilockyer

lowrider Live music is surround

We did a budget DVD player test in my house, the Toshiba 220 was quite disapointing, the Sonys and Pioneers where better, if a little more expensive, the Onkyo beeing the best, and even more expensive...

The funny brands where even worse...

lowrider, Oct 3, 2003
Ask a Question