budget headphones

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by buffalosoldierz, Jul 26, 2005.

1. buffalosoldierz

buffalosoldierz

Sennheiser PX100 at £18 or HD495s at £19???? They will be powered directly from the amp, as I lack the resources to buy a dedicated headphone amp. How is sound leakage? At the moment, I'm vearing towards the 495s as the price is very good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2005
    buffalosoldierz, Jul 26, 2005
  2. buffalosoldierz

Rory satisfied

i'd say hd495s- thats about half retail price iirc. The px100s are more for ipod/iriver users tbh. The 495s also have a much longer cord.

Rory, Jul 26, 2005
  3. buffalosoldierz

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Having owned the HD495s I am not so sure, they were the worst pair of head phones I ever owned. They required a lot of power to drive, my old Marantz PM4000 used to cut out when driving them. In the end I had to send them off to Senhieser for a new driver which they replaced under warranty.

I also own a pair of PX40s for portable use they are the best sounding portable headphones I have ever heared.

The HD495s have open mid range and the treble was good, but the bass was far too loose and wooly for my liking. My Philips HP890s were 10000 times better.

I had some Beyerdyamnic DTX900s now, they are brilliant but cost at at least £50.

Also the HD495s are open backed and leak a lot of sound.

amazingtrade, Jul 26, 2005
  4. buffalosoldierz

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Koss KSC-75 are very, very good for the money. Almost as good as Grado SR60's according to some...

Search headfi, and you'll see what i mean.

PBirkett, Jul 27, 2005
  5. buffalosoldierz

I hope they are more comfortable than the Grados though, thats why I've never bought the SR60's they clamp my head.

amazingtrade, Jul 27, 2005
  6. buffalosoldierz

Rory satisfied

did you like the sound though AT?

Rory, Jul 27, 2005
  7. buffalosoldierz

It was in a shop and the amplification didn't go that loud, they sounded quite warm but detailed but all the phones did and I think they were being coloured by a poor setup in the shop.

I just like to be able to wear my head phones for at least an hour without getting uncomfertable.

8. buffalosoldierz

PeteH Natural Blue

Agree on the Grado comfort issue - a friend of mine has SR60's and I wasn't able to wear them for more than about five minutes at a time. The (circumaural) 600's I've got now OTOH I can happily wear for hours at a time with no ill effects, other than getting a bit sweaty if it's hot. I used to have Sennheiser 495s and they weren't bad comfort-wise either - the sound was pretty fair for the £30 I paid for them too.

PeteH, Jul 27, 2005
  9. buffalosoldierz

Did you not find they really needed a dedicated headphone amp to drive them though? I found the bass quite wooly but that was on dancier/faster tracks. They were very good for simplier music which has more mid range in it.

10. buffalosoldierz

PeteH Natural Blue

Couldn't say :) - I didn't have one at the time, I was running them through my Marantz 6010KI IIRC. At the moment TBH I've only got the Creek because - try as I might - I can't plug my headphones into my NADs. Certainly with the 600s I haven't noticed any great problems running them off pretty much anything, though they need the Creek to go seriously, gratifyingly loud.

PeteH, Jul 28, 2005
  11. buffalosoldierz

zanash

don't miss out on Beyerdynamics ......check out there range I use there top of the range but they say some of the lower models give the top ones a close run. I prefer these to sennhisers...though I do own a very nice set of pcx250[?] the noise cancellers, there a good headphone too.

zanash, Jul 28, 2005
  12. buffalosoldierz

PBirkett VTEC Addict

13. buffalosoldierz

Rory satisfied

i used my sr80s on a sharp personal md. Sounded lovely. I certainly couldn't class them as warm sounding either AT- they were fairly upfront tbh

Rory, Jul 28, 2005
  14. buffalosoldierz

With the head amp I was referering the HD495s, the Grados should be fine with any HIFI amp. I have had many headphones and the HIFI amps have been fine driving them, but the HD495s caused my old PM4000 to cut out.

amazingtrade, Jul 28, 2005
  15. buffalosoldierz

Yep the best sounding headphones I have ever had always been Beyers and perhaps my Philips HP890s. The only think I don't like about Beyers is I am not sure their build quality is the as good as Philips or Senhieser.

I like my Beyer DTX900s a lot though. I can wear them for hours and hours, they have nice solid fast bass, warm vocals and a warmish treble. So they sound great with anything from dance to folk. They should be could considering I paid £65 for them though.

amazingtrade, Jul 28, 2005
  16. buffalosoldierz

buffalosoldierz

That might be a considerable issue, as I have the PM4200, which is very similar, just a later version. Thanks for the hints.

buffalosoldierz, Jul 28, 2005
  17. buffalosoldierz

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The new range of Beyers isnt as good as the old range in terms of build quality, and if comparing like with like, sonics. There wasnt an older equivalent that I know of to the DTX900 but they all feature that silver cracking headband that is less comfortable and more fragile than their older stuff. Certainly the upper ranges of the Beyers have battleship like build quality.

If you can get a pair of DT531's for less than £50 on the second hand market, then i think they'd be very difficult to beat, but on the down side, they do really need a decent amp to sound as good as they can.

PBirkett, Jul 28, 2005
Ask a Question