Budget kit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by T-bone Sanchez, Jul 20, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

The errrrr, women in my life (not sure what she is but thats a different story) has decided that its time for proper hi-fi (good going for a 25yr old bird me thinks) so Ive been given my orders.

Im thinking of trying to get hold of a MF X-80 as its a reasonable sound and has that all important 'cute' factor. Speakers wise Im leaning towards the Wharfedale 9.1's I think. CD player is still undecided, I want to go the dvd player/dac route (she has tons of dvd's) but I dont think Im winning with that one......yet.

What do ya think? Budget is £800, cables, I/C's etc will be my own variety so they dont need to be included. Please remember this is a female and thus the thought process is completely different. Music wise she has everythin from early Led zep, PF, ELP right through to that 'hip-hop' stuff.

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 20, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

Tons of Fun Technical monkey

Would suggest the Epos ELS3 or Monitor Audio B2 over the Wharfedale's. The Diamonds are good for adding a bit of smoothness and control to wayward amps. Considering the X-80 doesn't really have those problems, they could end up sounding a bit dull together. DVD and Dac sounds good but I have found in my experience that convincing my good lady to accept boxes that accept no media and have no real controls (off board Phono stages, DAC's, Power supplies) is tricky.

Tons of Fun, Jul 20, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

Cloth-Ears

Leave enough room in the budget for a pedal bin to take those hip-hop cds.

Cloth-Ears, Jul 20, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Ive given up with the crap cd's, her flat she can do what she wants.

I like the MA's, Ive just text her about them and she says I should get what ever I think is best. Ive fallen for this one before.

5. T-bone Sanchez

rsand I can't feel my toes

rsand, Jul 20, 2005
  6. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Rob, I wish!

Ive showed her what Im looking at getting and she seems happy. Im going to pay hifi bitz a visit and have a listen to the MA speakers.

7. T-bone Sanchez

MA and MF work well from my experience, but those nxt's look great from a discreet POV

rsand, Jul 20, 2005
  8. T-bone Sanchez

griffo104

If you met some the females I know then she would just complain about the sub woofer. They really don't like them.

griffo104, Jul 20, 2005
  9. T-bone Sanchez

Keep them quiet with a sexual act then ;)

rsand, Jul 20, 2005
  10. T-bone Sanchez

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

And people wonder why I prefer to be single, if a girl ever has a bloody to cheek to moan about my vinyl collection taking up space then she is dumped.

I have my mum well trained as I am now running a DJ rig in my room I have no room for Project Debut MKII at the moment (I am not selling it, I will use it again soon thats my baby) so that deck is on the living room floor :)

The classic one was my mum moaning about the bass from the speakers downstairs, I said to her if you isnsist on having both speakers in the alcove what do you expect, she replies well the would show if there were any where else.

amazingtrade, Jul 20, 2005
  11. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Hi-fi can only give aural pleasure, women can give dam fine......you know the rest.

Men too, of course.

AT, unfemale?? (at the bottom), you after becoming amazingtradette?

12. T-bone Sanchez

mr cat Member of the month

I think his op was a success...he's a full;y fletched male now...only joking AT..1

mr cat, Jul 20, 2005
  13. T-bone Sanchez

Rory satisfied

great choice, couldnt' have said it better myself

Alternative would be £250 Mordaunt Short 914- in the right colour fairly SWMBO friendly ;) .I'm thinking a Marantz PM7200 amp and DV4300 dvd player route too and just tidying a small dac away behind them- something like a 2nd hand DPA, Meridian, Audio Alchemy or even an early MF X24k

my mate had a pair of thsoe nxt wharfedales out on demo last sunday. Lack of midrange to be honest and they are quite big frames. You would also need to upgrade the subwoofer.

Rory, Jul 20, 2005
  14. T-bone Sanchez

Tons of Fun Technical monkey

I do too but I get sick of other manufacturer reps pushing the arse of their product to people who just want advice so I generally don't push mine unless prompted :).

Tons of Fun, Jul 20, 2005
  15. T-bone Sanchez

lordsummit moderate mod

They had some Wharfedale Pacifics on at £140 at hifibitz when I looked earlier. They could be good

lordsummit, Jul 20, 2005
  16. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Im going to go to hifi bitz over the weekend and have a look at the speakers, shes got a first floor apartment so its going to have a springy floor, I really need something with a tight bass and must be bookshelves. I'm going to get hold of a few marble plinths to sit under the stands. Ive never seen or heard the Epos so I'll check them out.

My first thought was a 7200, I got my brother the 7200KI when he needed a new amp and I do like them. BUT, I remember she muttered something when we were last in practical hi-fi and she's never really talked about marantz stuff. Also, its no the nicest looking amp and she is a woman, I dont want her sulking.

I dont seem to be getting anywhere with the dvd/dac combo, shes got a denon mc31 summat or other which she wants to keep, I'll keep working on it.

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 21, 2005
  17. T-bone Sanchez

hifienthusiast

Acoustic Energy Aesprit 300 speakers

For cheap speakers, I would recommend the discontinued Acoustic Energy Aesprit 300. If you are brave enough to use ebay, you can still buy some factory seconds for about 100 pounds from people who bought them from AE directly for 80 pounds before May this year. They were 350 pounds a couple of years ago.

I have been using a pair since May, they are superb speakers with very nice midrange and the bass is deep for its size. The build quality is also superb. AE uses tweeter and bass drivers made by Vifa. The finish of the real wood veneer is first class.

Hon

hifienthusiast, Jul 21, 2005
  18. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Musical Fidel X80 on its way for the the princely sum of £225 plus p&p. Im going to have a look at the speakers at the weekend; its seems its between the Epos and Monitor Audio although I'll have another listen to the Wharfedales. Of course, I'll have a listen to the amp first in my system and try and get a feel for its sounds. My main concern is that the flat she's bought is a first floor apartment over a passage into the courtyard, without going in (she doesnt have the keys yet) I can only imagine from experience that the floor wont be very good for the acoustics, espec the bass. Anything with even a hint of flabby bass will probably sound woeful. Im warming to the epos I think.

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 22, 2005
  19. T-bone Sanchez

Craig

Well done, it's a cracking buy

You should also bear in mind the Monitor Audio Silver bookhlelf speakers, as they've taken a fair old price tumble recently. Epos are lurvely though

FWIW I use Sony DVD with NOS DAC into my X80 - are you still considering DVD + DAC?

Craig, Jul 25, 2005
  20. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

I want her to go the dvd/dac route, it would be the perfect solution as she's a big movie fan with plenty of dvd's, but I seem to be drawing a blank at the moment. I still dont know what she's going to use for a source.

I notice the MA silver are now £200 which does put them in the frame. At the moment Im more inclined to let her choose her own, I seem to be doing alot of running round here! I got a text saying she liked the Wharfedale's finished in silver! Still its her flat.

Craig, I take it you have an X80?

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 25, 2005
Ask a Question