Burning in Solid State Amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Lynn SkeptiK

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Hi Frank - (e mail being shipped via Parcel2Go this weekend) agree re ambient noise absolutely. But - last year i did have a ben Duncan conditioner for a while with some electrostatics and i really thought it made a difference - so not entirely sceptical of the effect. I also know some folk have seriously taken this conditioning to megabucks level (not me) but curious. . . .

larkrise, Jun 21, 2007
  2. Lynn SkeptiK

Lynn SkeptiK

I've considered ambient noise levels and heightened senses before and still concluded that the better sound is very much the product of a better performing system.

I also play some musical instruments and I don't find any improvement in their tone or my ability to hear it later on in the day.

I've no doubt that quieter background noise levels would help one to concentrate well and better appreciate the intricacies of a string quartet, but I honestly can't see them doing much for improved dynamics on a Hendrix LP at full tilt.

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 21, 2007
  3. Lynn SkeptiK

shrink

no such thing in this business as no doubt whatsoever.. but i can hear vast improvements in my system when connected to the orion and the same applies to a few systems ive heard.

shrink, Jun 21, 2007
  4. Lynn SkeptiK

Sorry clumsy wording - I meant that there was no doubt in my mind that my system sounded better at night, confrmed yet again to me last night.

larkrise, Jun 22, 2007
  5. Lynn SkeptiK

zanash

Its all down to you local mains conditions...mine is quite dirty even in the evening ...

Using an 1:1 isolation tranny evens out the effect so that the performance is even handed across the day. I agree with effem ...no filtering /condition is best ... and never fit ferrites [sounds like furry animals ] to your power cords as they kill whats left of the dynamics.

zanash, Jun 22, 2007
  6. Lynn SkeptiK

dreftar

Im not really convinced by the improvement being on mains condition. My power arrives from all of 3 miles away via a diesel generated system. The same both night and day. As far as ambient noise level, during the day we can hear the town clock chime from across the water on mainland Shetland. During the night the wind can cause the grass to whisper. The improvemnt in sound is nevertheless quite marked.

dreftar, Jun 22, 2007
  7. Lynn SkeptiK

Just for the devil of it - I'm going to try a Ben Duncan 1Kva. Let you know what it does - if anything. Decided may be preferred route to isotek, which uses filters.

larkrise, Jun 22, 2007
  8. Lynn SkeptiK

Lynn SkeptiK

It sounds idyllic. Have you got a spare room to rent?

:)

Lynn SkeptiK, Jun 22, 2007
Ask a Question