bust rega arm

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I have knackered the cables in my rb 250, anyone know who apart from OL and incognito to rewire it? £70 seems a little pricy, so anywhere cheaper than that. I have attempted to do it myself and am 3/4 of the way there but its a fiddle:(

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 19, 2004
  2. Lt Cdr Data

penance Arrogant Cock

Mr Data
    I believe that van de hul do some suitable cable as do cardas.
    I think stone audio stock the VDH stuff, but i think it still isnt cheap.

hmm, just checked, 2 types one at £14.50 pM and £34.00 pM

That makes the incognito seem not so bad:rolleyes:

<edit> how urgent is the repair?

penance, Apr 19, 2004
  3. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

its just about done, been a bit of a pain first time around, not geared up for this, not too bad once you get used to it, but still, in hindsight, I would rather pay 70 squid than spend 1/2 the day fiddling with it. not very pleasant. at every turn something else goes wrong, the stock rega arm is, apart from the tube and bearings, really shite.

the wire is bad
    earthing is abysmal,
    the terminations are dire, rubber things that you have to destroy,
    as is the terminal inside the drop through part,
    and of course a plastic screw on end stub.

not impressed with the way the TT is so friction sensitive, too, really gone off regas, very shoddy inside indeed.

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Lt Cdr Data

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Well, the RB250 IS a cheap arm to all intents and purposes. Take apart one from a Technics 1210 or similar and it'll be a lot worse.

My RB250 (on the NAD) is a bit buzzy - I might well get it fully modded when I move, and then bung the RB300 from the Planar 3 on that and put the hotrodded 250 on the Planar 3 - that could rule....

domfjbrown, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

yes dom, the arm is quite horrid once you open it up. Rewiring is actually quite easy, but there is as always more to it than that.

You pull the old wire out,
    you have to have the right size wire, I tried stiff telephone stuff at first, and it interfered with the bearings, so put in some really fine solid core, not as fine as the rega dross, feed it through the bottom, pull it out the end , and then attatch to another wire to pull it through to the headshell, make an earth lead at the headshell, and fit your tags and also the other end, its fairly simple but you have do be methadological.

I also tried some thicker wire, but couldn't get it all thro the bottom!!

But it also needs a grommit at the head end, and glueing in place with silicone at the lead end.

The rega terminations are terrible, I had to destroy them, I hate to think as you say what really cheap stuff is like.

Not something to be undertaken lightly if you don't know what you are doing, best get Mark Baker, OL to do it for £70, in hindsight, save messing.

but I had to do it quick as I have a couple of phonostages from the emporium coming soon:) and the arm must be right, which it is now.

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 20, 2004
Ask a Question