Buy from a Dealer or buy Direct?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by flatpopely, Jun 24, 2010.

1. flatpopely

RobHolt Moderator

Yes indeed, that is very important if your market is not mainly EU based.
    But you can split your sales and distribution methods within the business for very different products with different markets. While the market is clearly moving towards direct selling we will be running in a two-way system form some time yet - particularly if you want to sell globally. No reason why you cannot ride two horses, with the proviso that you don't end up with the same product available through both channels as that would potentially be extremely unfair on the customer.

The image of dealers hopping on planes I find amusing :) - though I guess if you are spending say north of £20k on a new system it is fair enough and must happen, though to the vast majority of customers in the real world, with real world budgets it just isn't going to happen.

RobHolt, Jun 27, 2010
  2. flatpopely

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Better do Munich if you are hoping for some global distribution, I can't see many travelling to Whittlebury Hall! Perhaps the odd Welsh man !
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Jun 27, 2010
  3. flatpopely

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

Agreed but if selling the same ones then there is the potential for trouble. We have run into this a few times with American manufacturers who sell direct in the states (using the rep model) and then want distribution in other countries. Unfortunaltely they forget that a distributor needs at least 30% if selling direct and 50% if reselling via a dealer, as the dealer requires 25-30%. The product profit margin and market placement get blown out of the water when the original 7% they gave reps is increased to 30-50%. At this point grey importing is inevitable especially if one can buy the product direct using e-buying. A distributor has to hold stock, provide credit, pay staff, have premises etc. this is not achievable on anything less than 30%, remember that's gross margin not net profit. This is what I do for a living, its just the cold hard facts of commerce.

flatpopely, Jun 27, 2010
  4. flatpopely

Richard Dunn

There is no need for different product, the custmomers price will be a little higher in distance markets, but if they buy direct it will be anyway with import duty and shipping costs. It just means giving the overseas direct sellers a margin to work with over the UK price.

Richard Dunn, Jun 27, 2010
  5. flatpopely

nando nando

i only sell to the u.k. for example, the furthest i have being to a customers place up norh was scotland, not via a plane, south was monmouth and weymouth, midlands as well, lovelly to get out of london for a change, and super weekends,
    nando.

nando, Jun 27, 2010
  6. flatpopely

Richard Dunn

It seems last year there were many there and this year Chester Group are making an effort to support them providing transport and hotel arrangements, and anyway Munich is ridiculously expensive. I would do it if I was in a heavy expansion mode or wanted to be a big company, but I am happy as I am. No debt (everything is paid up front), next to no overheads, no borrowing, minimal admin, as it is all very easy via ebay and paypal. No giving credit and waiting to be paid by retailers :D. So why should I change things and invest into a dying market on the verge of a serious global recession :rolleyes: very sensible.

That is the point of the new market and many of you bodgers and tweakers could do it as well and the more the merrier. Just don't make the mistake of expecting dying retailers to sell and support your product, they have enough problems just trying to survive :D

Richard Dunn, Jun 27, 2010
  7. flatpopely

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

To go back to the original topic- pros and cons.

Dealer:pro
    Local
    Human (vertebrate definitely)
    Coffee
    Potential immediate availability
    Potential demo
    Comparative demo
    Few surprises
    Maybe a source of 'impartial' advice ( and maybe a free blowjob as well)
    An interface for service and warranty.

Dealer:Con
    Rude
    Fucking stupid
    Overpriced
    Desperate to bleed you for his failing business
    Limited stock
    Tilted demo
    Will sell you in-stock over order-in items.

Direct:pro
    Sometimes better VFM
    Potentially better availability.
    More knowledgeable.
    Sales or return potentially extended home demo
    Faster warranty.

Direct: Con
    Understaffed.
    Not always better VFM.
    Poor gear availability- waiting lists.
    No local set-up help.
    Re-stock fee potential. (that twat AJ)
    Limited warranty

There are few hard and fixed truths about it other than going direct could potentially be cheaper, and going direct will help kill off dealers.

sq225917, Jun 28, 2010
Ask a Question