Buying 2nd Hand from the US

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by skp574, Jul 12, 2004.

1. skp574

skp574

I'm thinking of buying a second hand piece of kit from the US. Even though it's a private sale, is it still liable to import duty and VAT if shipped say by UPS?

I know taxes are on new equipment but what about the second hand market? Anyone have some experience on this?

skp574, Jul 12, 2004
  2. skp574

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I've bought used equipment from the US and haven't had to pay duty or VAT.

7_V, Jul 12, 2004
  3. skp574

skp574

I am thinking of getting something off Audiogon and would probably use PayPal. So would I be right in thinking I would be also need to add on their fees then shipping cost to the UK?

skp574, Jul 12, 2004
  4. skp574

voodoo OdD

Yup. The chances of you being nabbed for import duty etc. are fairly high but sometimes you can get lucky. It all depends on the declared value of the item and courier/shipping companies generally ask for this as part of the insurance cover. When it arrives here, Customs will check the paper work for this figure.

I'd factor this into your budget just to be safe but there may be other ways to work around it ;) .

voodoo, Jul 12, 2004
  5. skp574

adam

I used USPS three times,was never stopped straight through,but that was to Spain.

adam, Jul 12, 2004
  6. skp574

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Cant you ask them if they will mark it with "gift" ?

PBirkett, Jul 12, 2004
  7. skp574

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul, makes no difference now. A gift over a certain value (wich i cant remember) will still be taxed.
    As far as i know, the only way to avoid import duty is if you can prove that you lived in the country previously and that the goods were your property while you lived there.
    I have imported a fair few items, some i have been taxed on others not, no reason to it:rolleyes:
    Customs and Excise website will give a current listing of UK import duties

penance, Jul 12, 2004
  8. skp574

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I'd definitely get them to mark the package "used amplifier" (or whatever). They don't tend to value hi-fi equipment very highly and putting "used" can't hurt. You might as well maximise the possibilities of getting through unscathed.

7_V, Jul 12, 2004
  9. skp574

Rosso

You got no chance, customs will hit you hard mate! Take it from a man with a lot of experience. Also stay well clear of UPS. They charge an admin tax of £10 or so on everything that gets TAXED no matter its value so its in their best interest to make sure items are TAXED. Gift makes no difference at all. Ok so there have been times where i've not had duty added on but those times have been few and far between!

Rosso, Jul 15, 2004
  10. skp574

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Rosso,

Is correct, The gift dodge has been well rumbled for some time, there is a limit of $58 before vat is levvied, also that incurres a handling charge by all the couriers, putting used on the parcel is a waste of time, as you get charged VAT at the SALE price regardless.
    import tax is usually 4.5% for hifi stuff ontop of 17.5% and they charge vat on the shipping as well :eek:
    under declaring the value is great until it gets lost/stolen or damaged, then trying a $3k claim for a $250 cdp won't wash either :D
    Remeber an amp/cdp shipped from the US that weighs under 20KG's will cost some where between $190-$270 and isn't small, also after 9/11 every package is x/rayed, so saying it's a garden orniment is taking the piss a bit really :cool:
    Some items arn't worth importing from the states, others ARE, just be careful, work out all the figures first, then see what iot costs here, and also factor in the voltage change too. Wm

wadia-miester, Jul 15, 2004
  11. skp574

penance Arrogant Cock

the really annoys me, charging vat on shipping.
    How does a shipping service from another country become subject to UK value added tax, its not an item, its a service from outside the UK:mad:

penance, Jul 15, 2004
  12. skp574

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Easy one that, they (customs) classify shipping as part of the purchase price, because to purchase it, you had to pay for the shipping to get it into the UK, nice friendly people Customs and excise :)

Remeber buying inside the EU you will not incur vat charges unless the country your buying from has a VAT rate less than 17.5%, France has a 19% vat rate, so in theory you could ask for a rebate :D
    I may stand corrected on this, but no Vat no import tax either?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2004
    wadia-miester, Jul 15, 2004
  13. skp574

penance Arrogant Cock

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:mad:

penance, Jul 15, 2004
  14. skp574

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i wouldn't mind the govt levying these fees and taxes if they used it in a responsible manner rather than spending it on 5k a roll wallpaper and 80k antique furniture for their offices. gits.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 15, 2004
  15. skp574

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Scott,

It wouldn't be a ML 390s you're looking to go for would it? I brought one over about 21 months ago. If you want to PM me with a Tel Number, I'll call you tomorrow and talk you through it.

Rgds
    Andy

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 15, 2004
  16. skp574

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Interestingly, there was a case where a large store took C&E to court and said that they could not charge VAT on the credit card charge (the 2.5% or so that shops get charged to accept a cc), and they won. In theory, C&E now owes millions, if not billions, in VAT charged on credit card charges.

I-S, Jul 15, 2004
Ask a Question