Cable advice for valve amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by smileandnod, Oct 22, 2003.

1. smileandnod

smileandnod

Hello all.

I have just bought my first valve amp (Icon Audio Stereo 40). I will be keeping my existing speakers which are Castle Pembrokes, and I was wandering if anyone had any recommendations for speaker cable.

I'm currently using FFRC (which seems to be quite an emotive subject around here :) ), and whilst I have not taken delivery of the amp yet and so not had a chance to try it, I would be interested to see if anyone has any opinions on what cables might suit the system well.

I will of course be borrowing some cables from my dealer, but in the meantime some starting points would be cool.

Cheers.
    Ian.

smileandnod, Oct 22, 2003
  2. smileandnod

merlin

Hi Ian,

You don't say what you are prepared to spend. But I'd try some Kimbers on 30 day moneyback via Russ Andrews (try 4tc or if you can stretch to it 8tc/4tc biwire. I reckon any of the Goetz/Townsend family would also work a treat.

merlin, Oct 22, 2003
  3. smileandnod

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I would agree with Merlin here, a lot of good sounding valve set ups I've had the pleasure of listening to used, this Family of cable to achieve the sound they did :) Wm

wadia-miester, Oct 22, 2003
  4. smileandnod

Robbo

The 8TC/4TC biwire cabe I use on my tube amp seems to work very well. Got to be worth a try.

Robbo

Robbo, Oct 22, 2003
Ask a Question