Cable argument 2007 round xxx

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanash

zanash

I was only able to attend on the saturday .....

I was a little early so had a chance to chat with a number of others waiting outside.

The construction standard was [on finished items] better than many of the small company products I've seen ....

Sound was a problem as the venue had huge vaulting rooms ...only the "pink room" had a normal height ceiling...

I was able to offer the services of my cdp as sources seemed thin on the ground.

In the afternoon I was able to lend Vakesh [hope thats the right spelling] my cd plus a couple of IC... to provide an alternate source to his lap top. As far as I could tell his home built amps ..an Aussie kit with belguim cases...should have writen the name down ..duh...with his open baffle speakers sound very good ...but the room accoustics really made it difficult to get any real feeling. I tried the little blue light ...but the room was about 5x the volume of a domestic living room ...with only the smallest effect I could tell [and I know what to listen for] .

After a few disc I swapped ic to the platalloys oddly these really helped tame the room. I was unable to do what I intended ...which was a simple switch of three identical ic's each with a different metalogy ....oh well

The presentation was very interesting ....negative and positive feedback in amps ....but some was rather over my head.

So just to say a big thank you to the organisers and those that that attend both with and without gear.

zanash, Jul 29, 2007
  2. zanash

leo

I think they are the SKA amps, designed by Greg Ball.
    I couldn't get unfortunately, just browsing through the forums now to see if theres any threads to read about it

leo, Jul 29, 2007
  3. zanash

iihay

I didn't go but I know that Vikash uses Greg's SKA amps with his orions. Would have loved to here the setup as I've just built a couple.

How did his orions look in the flesh, they look pretty dominating online!

Iain

iihay, Sep 2, 2007
  4. zanash

mosfet

mosfet, Sep 2, 2007
  5. zanash

zanash

zanash, Sep 3, 2007
  6. zanash

mosfet

mosfet, Sep 3, 2007
  7. zanash

Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic, Sep 3, 2007
  8. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

this got very nasty very quickly, so I have deleted with a broad paint brush.

play nice :)

bottleneck, Sep 3, 2007
  9. zanash

zanash

sorry to say thats been a fairly typical response of theres..... I'm not the only member of this forum thats seen this sort of activity ....effectively attempting to discredit the person and the posted subject.

I would like apologise unreservedly if I managed to offend anyone, and of course thank the mod for stepping in.

vikash amps and speakers showed great potential- as said, it was just a shame the room was the acoustic unresponsive ...damping speaker placement [in all three planes] etc.

zanash, Sep 3, 2007
  10. zanash

Stereo Mic

Zanash

Prove you can treat room modes with silver cable or apologise for posting dishonest information aimed at increasing sales. That's fairly simple. It takes little effort to discredit rubbish that has absolutely no basis in reality. Post some supporting evidence and I won't be able to discredit you will I? Or is your position that you should not be challenged in your assertion that magic really does exist?

Chris,

you've accidentally left the really insulting drivel in which you will find in post no.1. Would your remove that rubbish please - otherwise you are likely to invite this kind of exchange on an hourly basis I would imagine.

Zanash is a snake oil salesman. A person who believes in divining rods, magic, and that "metalogy" is a science - not the trade mark of a casting company in New Zealand.

PS. I understand his problem with "metalogy". If you Google, you will see that The Heavy Metal Co. in New Zealand have trade marked the term "Metalogy" with the tag line " The art of metal casting". The fact that Pete seems to think this is a whole new branch of scientific study speaks volumes for the credibility of his business IMHO.

Stereo Mic, Sep 3, 2007
  11. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

personally, although I don't think you can tame room modes with an interconnect, I don't think it needs moderation - you've said that you don't think it can do that, and that's fair enough - job done really.

I don't see why this thread need turn vitriolic.

bottleneck, Sep 3, 2007
  12. zanash

Stereo Mic

Chris,

it's not really a case of thinking - it's a case of knowing as anyone with a basic understanding of acoustics would know.

Well I guess we'll wait for some proof.......

Stereo Mic, Sep 3, 2007
  13. zanash

dean.l

I don't think you need proof really.
    there is no need to comment, if someone thinks it makes a difference to them then leave them to it.

religious people have no or little proof for what they say, are you going to say they are idiots too?

maybe they are maybe they are not but who are we to say.

I don't see how they can't make a difference to be honest.
    I just think some systems show it up more than others.

dean.l, Sep 3, 2007
  14. zanash

Stereo Mic

No, but I'm going to tell them to F*** off if they start preaching miracles and hailing Jeezus on a hifi forum. A person's faith is a private matter.

Faith based hifi is however a fraud and damaging to your wallet.

Stereo Mic, Sep 3, 2007
  15. zanash

mr cat Member of the month

and faith isn't..?

I like to jest now and then but even I thought you were a bit harsh...

mr cat, Sep 3, 2007
  16. zanash

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

what's wrong with faith based hifi, do you think current science can tell us everything about the auditory experience, cos it sure can't, we have no idea how it's processed internally and what environmental factors may affect that.

I'm in agreement that interconnects can't change room modes, pete chose his words badly, i'm sure what he meant was that 'he believed his cables help improve the sound' in the room.

sq225917, Sep 3, 2007
  17. zanash

Dev Moderator

A quick question. As you enter an unfamiliar room and listen to an unfamiliar kit, how do you assess which part of the system is contributing to any aspect of the sound? Surely you are listening to the system as a whole. How can anyone assess the contributions of cables/isolation/mains/source/speakers etc. etc.? So in that sense, I think Mike was right to question Pete, just wished he was a bit more TacTful.

I think it's a pity that we haven't seen any more posts on the actual topic. I'd have liked to have seen a fuller "report" of the event.

Dev, Sep 3, 2007
  18. zanash

Stereo Mic

Whilst I used to think it couldn't, I'm now fairly convinced that it can - and would find it remarkable if some guru who thinks Metalogy (tm) is an important branch of science, suddenly stumbled upon a product which managed to undo the work of Newton Einstein et al.

If someone wants to prove the existance of Unexplainable Sonic Phenomenon then I'm all ears, but sadly all we ever get is laughable claims from utterly discredited listening experiences.

Stereo Mic, Sep 3, 2007
  19. zanash

unclepuncle

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

unclepuncle, Sep 3, 2007
  20. zanash

lordsummit moderate mod

SM can you please try and play nicely... I have no problems at all with you pursuing your arguments, it would be nice however if you could choose your language so as to not belittle other posters. If this thread continues it's current track, I'll wipe out the off topic posts, and bring it back to it's original topic, one I'd love to hear more about.
    Thanks

lordsummit, Sep 3, 2007
Ask a Question