Cable Myths Debunked.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

For some reason the previous thread was removed. I don't see there is a problem linking to evidence exposing the cable myth but here's hoping this one isn't censored too so that you all get a chance to digest the facts. Here goes

http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html

http://www.vxm.com/21R.64.html

http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/education...-you-snake-oil

http://www.audioholics.com/education...speaker-cables

http://www.audioholics.com/education...-psychological

http://www.audioholics.com/education...able-resonance

Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007
  2. Stereo Mic

Wickfut

congratulations on finding other people on the internet who don't believe in cables

Wickfut, Dec 1, 2007
  3. Stereo Mic

sastusbulbas

Hi SM,

The Audioholic ones don't work?

sastusbulbas, Dec 1, 2007
  4. Stereo Mic

lordsummit moderate mod

Your last one was removed because of it's over critical tone.
    This one will be when it degenerates into the usual mess that these threads result in.

lordsummit, Dec 1, 2007
  5. Stereo Mic

rollo

Cause their using the wrong ICs silly.

rollo

rollo, Dec 1, 2007
  6. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

Sorry. Try this http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/ and navigate to the various exposes from there.

I'll try my very hardest to not be overly critical LordSummit - promise.

Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007
  7. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

What would your Lordship suggest? That we let people post about cables and don't suggest that they may be misguided? It's interesting that this is one subject in audio which really isn't subjective - where there are rights and wrongs. And yet are you suggesting we do not point those out?

Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007
  8. Stereo Mic

mr cat Member of the month

I think when a certain person's banned this place may return back to normal... ;)

mr cat, Dec 1, 2007
  9. Stereo Mic

sastusbulbas

The first one does not say cable diifferences do not exist!

In fact to quote,
    While competent cable manufacturers should be aware of these measurements and the need to make them during the design of their cables, the raw truth is that most do not!

Is exactly what I mean when saying not all cables are created equal.

10. Stereo Mic

DavidF

Agreed.

:)

DavidF, Dec 1, 2007
  11. Stereo Mic

sastusbulbas

The second link,

This does not give any conclusive proof of anything.

All it highlights is some tit for tat which resulted in no tests being made?

I do regard transparent as one of the better manufacturers, and do agree the aparent non commital is dissapointing, but in no way conclusive?

12. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

If you had gone back through previous threads and read the position I have and others do on cables as I requested, instead of hurling insults, you would have known no one has ever said differences cannot exist.

Why not go back to the previous threads discussing LCR and see the position as I have been pleading with you to do, instead of basing an argument and being offensive on a misunderstanding?

Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007
  13. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

.If you don't have anything constructive to add, could you kindly keep out and respect the AUP? Your posts seem to contain nothing but attempts to stir up hatred. Rather sad really don't you think? Still into Balsa?

Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007
  14. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

You might notice that they are rather more qualified to discuss these matters than some Zerogainers. I particularly found this to be informative.

Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007
  15. Stereo Mic

unclepuncle

Is there really any point in waiting for the inevitable Lord Summit - surely this topic has been done to death by now:(

unclepuncle, Dec 1, 2007
  16. Stereo Mic

Robbo

What, you mean like 2 posts a day?

Robbo, Dec 1, 2007
  17. Stereo Mic

sastusbulbas

The third link.

Quote's,
    Speaker cables can (and sometimes do) sound different with a given amplifier and loudspeaker combination, even where they are well designed and of reasonable gauge. Excluded are very thin or extremely silly combinations - these will always do something to the sound, rarely good.

Interconnects might sound different, but only if they use odd construction techniques. Generally speaking, all properly (sensibly) designed and well made interconnects will sound the same - excluding noise pickup which is common with unshielded designs.

The above substantiate some of what I was implying in my posts on a previous thread, and seem to show there can indeed be differences.

Cable 'break-in' is a myth, and is perpetuated by those with something to hide - no-one has ever been able to show that there is any scientific justification to the claim, nor shown that the performance has changed in any way whatsoever. Cable break-in is real, and occurs between the ears of the listener - nowhere else (most certainly not in the cable).

There was an article in HiFi News which addressed this with some evidence which I am not sure was substantiated? I may look the article out, I am not sure if it was followed up in the following month.

18. Stereo Mic

DavidF

Agreed again, if you would LS.

I think enoughs been said for now.

DavidF, Dec 1, 2007
  19. Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic

Speaker cables can sound different. Mostly they won't, and they certainly won't because of any of the miguided reasons given in the article I quoted on the previous page. There is no alchemy involved and it's a crap shoot. Lightening can strike twice in the same place.

I am loathe to rely on anything from HFN. The cable article you mentioned previously, whilst sounding highly plausible to the casual bystander, did use terms like 'inductoidance' and 'square root of an inductor' which have a distinct scent of snake-oil about them. There's also a concern as to whether the inductance of the test load didn't have some bearing on the result - it's not actually stated how close the values were. In short - if anything interesting had been thrown up it would have been the subject of a peer review. It wasn't.

Stereo Mic, Dec 1, 2007
  20. Stereo Mic

sastusbulbas

My appologies SM,

On the previous threads I felt I was being insulted. And I did not think I was the only one guilty of this, apologies to anyone offended by myself.

My points were simple from the begining, that not all cables are equal, and that there are measurable differences, and construcion methods.

The given replay was over simplified and brought up similar characteristics and LCR, which I felt pointless and beside the point. There was no agreement with my opinion or questions regarding two completely different products with completely different construction and measurements.

I was not getting into a discussion regarding LCR, as I was implying the simplistic opinion of all cable argument seemingly being based on "similar characteristics" which in defense of those called names and such, may not be the case. My appologies if this seemed ignorant.

I did not intend to be offesive or argumentive, but point out there may be more than just sooth saying going on with regard to anyone who may hear a difference.

Ask a Question