Cable suggestion for Audiolab/Monitor Audio combo?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Trick, May 13, 2007.

1. Trick

Trick

Hi all,

I'm looking to change my speaker cables from old £1/m Gale XL315 strand to something a bit more special. I'm not sure I'll notice a difference or not but it's an 'upgrade' I've been thinking of for quite some time.

I'm interested in both QED Silver Aniversary XT and the Van Damme blue series (4mm upofc) mainly because a: they get continuously good reviews from here and avforums and b: they're not going to break the bank. Ideally, I don't really want to spend more than about £100.

Onto the stereo - it's a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's connected to an Audiolab 8000s and 8000a. I want at least 4m cable to biamp with. I like the transparency of the Audiolabs and the brightness of the MA's but it's been suggested to me that the QED will sound a little too harsh, being silver. Is this likely to be the case? Would the copper of the Van Damme be a better match?

What can people suggest?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
    Trick, May 13, 2007
  2. Trick

peez

Origin live are always worth cchecking out - soli core super at 6.60 a metre, its a biamp cable and requires no termination - will seriously improve over what you are using and come in well under your budget.
    only downside is its so bloody thick and unweildy but boy does it sound good for the money.

http://www.interconnect-cables.com/loudspeaker-cables.htm

peez, May 13, 2007
  3. Trick

mr cat Member of the month

go for the damme - its what I use...I side-graded from some VDH the Wind since moving into a larger house (needed more cable) and there is no loss of quality!

mr cat, May 13, 2007
  4. Trick

scott_01

Trick

I've got the Silver anniversary with Dynaudio Audience 50s and Crimson 640 monos. Sounds fine to me, and as far as I remember it didn't take me any 'getting used to' either.

Replaced copper Linn K20 (bought to 'dampen down' previous AVI positrons) and sounded much clearer and more detailed, no harshness to my ears. Didn't try any other higher quality (than the K20) cables though. I get the feeling that at a given price point they are all much of a muchness, but presentation may well differ between materials.

Hope that helps

scott_01, May 14, 2007
  5. Trick

sideshowbob Trisha

Don't listen to that other Sideshow Bob :)

There's nothing wrong with the wire you already have. I'd spend the money on something else.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 14, 2007
  6. Trick

Dev Moderator

Ian, next time you visit me, you can (only if you like) have the pleasure of comparing Goertz, QED SA and Van Damme speaker cables. I have all 3 running under the floor permanently in situ.

Having said that I know what your answer is going to be:D.

Dev, May 14, 2007
  7. Trick

yeah - Van damme... :cool:

mr cat, May 14, 2007
  8. Trick

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

van damme has more punch for movies...

bottleneck, May 14, 2007
  9. Trick

groan... :D

mr cat, May 14, 2007
  10. Trick

Trick

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions folks.

I've actually put the cables on the back burner for a week or so as I've just ordered a Shek D2 NOSDAC and a new Chord interconnect!

I'll report back when I've made the cable purchase.

Trick, May 15, 2007
Ask a Question