Cable Terminology

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Ken

Ken

I have noticed when looking to purchase speaker cable (especially via Audiogon or USA based suppliers) that the terminology of “shotgun terminated†is often quoted.

For most applications I know that cables can be anyone of the following;

2 connections at each end of each cable; (2 at the amp end, 2 at the speaker end, a standard connection)

2 connections at one end of each cable with 4 connections at the other end of each cable; (2 at the amp end, 4 at the speaker end, Bi-Wire ?)

4 connections at each end of each cable; (4 at the amp end, 4 at the speaker end, Bi-Amp?)

So which is defined as “shotgun terminated†?

Ken, Nov 7, 2006
  2. Ken

Dik Dolan

I think "shotgunned" means a biwire cable that has the pairs connected to one pair of plugs; i.e. 2 cables into each connector.

Dik Dolan, Nov 7, 2006
  3. Ken

zanash

shotgun just reffers to the shape in crossection....therefore

I'd think it was as dik says two cable ends into one connector.

zanash, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Ken

nando nando

bi-wire, 2-to 4, amp end to 4 speaker imput, 4-by -4 used in systems when an itegrated amp in use with a power amp"i.e. int. used to power the trble and power to power the bass, shotguned i think is a new "marketing " word for bi-wire, not many speakers have split crossovers to cater for bi-amp, bi-wire in some cases does cut down the impedance of signal to path ratio between output of amp towards the speakers, oh dear it is all too technical but in more systems 2-to-4 works well..nando.

nando, Nov 7, 2006
  5. Ken

McLogan

Some amps have two identical speaker outputs per channel so that one does not have to try to stuff two cables into one banana plug when biwiring. This is not bi-amping, as it is featured in some integrated amps.

McLogan, Nov 8, 2006
Ask a Question