Cables to lunacy...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Jul 4, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

We've had a fair few cable debates here, and there's the current issue of Mr. Gregory's cable preferences being talked about also...

But I noted a little gem in hifi choice, from the review of the Wadia 861se.

Now, is it just me, or are they suggesting (somewhat implicitly) choosing a CD player around the cables you use? SURELY this should be the other way around, and should have read like this:

The other suggestion this makes is that everyone is trying to achieve the same thing, and this is two different ways of doing it. There are strengths and weaknesses outside of frequency response that players will have...

I won't be renewing my subscription.

I-S, Jul 4, 2004
  2. I-S

DavidY80 Long Member

To be honest Isaac I'm not sure why you would have subscribed in the first place. You obviously have a mind (and a pair of ears) of your own.

Hi-fi magazine reviewers undergo no special training, in many cases being less well qualified to pass judgement than many who post here. Their opinions - which is exactly what they are - are unfortunately too often swayed by the need to pull in advertising revenue. I've seen this in the publications of many sectors, and hi-fi is no different.

DavidY80, Jul 4, 2004
  3. I-S

lordsummit moderate mod

I really don't understand where he's coming from. Your rewrite makes much sense, but his original statement perhaps is looking at the Audiophile Candy route where you keep the cabling from the same manufacturer throughout the system. I hardly read the mags now. When I buy one I'm usually disappointed

lordsummit, Jul 4, 2004
  4. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

David - I work on the periphery of the hifi industry, so I know some of the behind the scenes stuff, and have a good laugh when they really go off on a BS trip. I've also been offered a writing position in the past (was for a PC magazine though)...

I-S, Jul 4, 2004
  5. I-S

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

How about a Zero Gain magazine? Any unemployed editors out there?

7_V, Jul 4, 2004
  6. I-S

BlueMax

Hi-Fi Choice is an exception. They have technicians who do LAB testing of the product reviewed.

They also use blind testing using a panel of listeners.

So unlike WHF and others, Hi-Fi Choice reviews are not just an opinion by a journalist.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2004
    BlueMax, Jul 4, 2004
  7. I-S

penance Arrogant Cock

So its an opinion from a person who can use a signal generator and an oscilloscope. No real opinion of sound/musicality, just some frequency response and a breakdown of circuit type/components.

PS. Bluemax, ive not forgoteen, ill dig out the filter and post it:)

penance, Jul 4, 2004
  8. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Iassc,

I read this review about 2 weeks ago, Jason Kenndy did the Scribing, give it 96% for sound quality, and in one of the preceeding paragraphs, says 'Its one of the best more sold bass sound ever blah, blah, blah, dribble dribble1. Then slips in, "its not the most rapid of players, and the presenation is somewhat different from most players, it is the wadia's colour or just your hearing everthing off the disc?', all this from a DCS man? makes you wonder :eek:
    Yes the SE is pretty fair, but 96%, now can you guess what cables Mr Kenndy runs, 'The last grains of grit were remarkable removed from the system' uttering amazing blah, blah blah. Valhalla digital cable review from a couple of years back, poor fellow real has no idea what he's missing :rolleyes:

wadia-miester, Jul 4, 2004
  9. I-S

rewster

Out of interest, has anyone here had a good listen to the Nordost offering? What is it comparable with as far as sound quality is concerned.
    For the sake of (lack of) argument, the responses might best be viewed on the understanding that mains cables can make a difference, otherwise we'll a disappear off on a tangent.

rewster, Jul 4, 2004
  10. I-S

Rewster,

All 3 nordost offerings (power lead wise) performance, can be better for less, by more than one or two manufacturers imho.

wadia-miester, Jul 4, 2004
  11. I-S

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Tony,

Seeing as you seem to try more gear than most, what are your recommendations with regards power cables?

JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 7, 2004
  12. I-S

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Omiga Audio power cables are excellent, JTB. I would always use them when setting up systems at an exhibition. However it might be a bit tricky for Tony to recommend them himself.

7_V, Jul 7, 2004
  13. I-S

lowrider Live music is surround

I keep asking him to test the Van Den Hul so I can have a term of comparison... :rolleyes:

Anyone else tried them... :confused:

lowrider, Jul 7, 2004
  14. I-S

Jack,
    which particular piece of kit is it for?, what do you want to try and achieve with it, are you using any conditioning with it?

wadia-miester, Jul 7, 2004
  15. I-S

BlueMax

WHF reviews are opinion of a single person. HFC reviews are the work of a team of experts. It combines LAB testing and structured LAB and listening tests, under blind level matched conditions, by an experienced panel.
    LAB testing is very penetrating and require much more than a signal generator and an oscilloscope.
    Full details are in the mag. eg. page 59 of April 2004 issue when they did a group test of CDPs. Best Buy was the Arcam CD93T; big brother of CD72/73T I hope to get one day :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2004
    BlueMax, Jul 7, 2004
  16. I-S

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Tony,

P/C recommendations for an Audio Synthesis Dax Discrete/Desire Decade.

Rgds
    JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 7, 2004
  17. I-S

Jack,

For musical coherence and involvement Electra gluide Ultra Khan MKII, purenote, nordost Valhalla (although very picky in some systems), vishnu is ok, virtual dynamics nite david II is pretty good and Ours.
    Others worthy or trying, Cardas Golden ref, ac master coupler, Synergistic research (mid-priced one, never remember the name), A/Z krakatoa, Harmonic Tech ac 10 fantasy, Xindac silver ribbon version, its fair, shunyata, nothing less than a viper *(MKII isn't as good imho), the Anaconda alpha is useful with certain kit, but can be overly warm when partnered with lush gear.
    Audience is a good buy too, and a much over looked cable is silent source.
    Should give you a few ideas Paul

wadia-miester, Jul 7, 2004
Ask a Question