Cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Johnny, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Johnny

Johnny

I think it is appropriate to post this here :

Why do all you audiophiles spend so much money on cables ?

It's only a cable...I can't hear any difference..

Can you justify spending possibly hundreds or thousands of pounds on cables ?

Please explain this to me since, I don't understand ... :(

johnny

Johnny, Jan 3, 2006
  2. Johnny

greg Its a G thing

Hi Johnny. I dont mean to p*ss on your parade, but three small comments apply here:
    a) there is considerable division on this forum regards the subjects of the efficacy of cables and the costs attached (note the former doesnt necessarily walk hand in hand with the latter).
    b) these differences of opinion have been debated in great detail with some animosity
    c) considering the above the obvious conclusion to draw is that not all audiophools have faith in cables.

greg, Jan 3, 2006
  3. Johnny

Johnny

yes I appreciate that not all audiophiles have faith in cables however, if an audiophile spends many thousands on equipment, it is very likely that they will be spending hundreds / thousands on cables.

What is your own opinion ?

Johnny, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Johnny

greg Its a G thing

Personally I've heard examples of quite surprising benefits and deficits when using different cables, in the case of speaker, i/c and power. I've also been completely underwhelmed too, though many years ago I experienced a completely night and day event with an interconnect which convinced me there was something in it.

On the other hand I dont like spending money and havent spent a great deal on my cables, I like the notion of the DIY route, but so far, due to time poverty, havent personally built anything.

greg, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Johnny

HR100MCS

Always used to be a cynic until I bought an RA Mains Cable (the classic). Now I am new to this forum but the fact that RA products are not always appreciated is pretty obvious. However, for my former Sugden Transport and DAC the change of a power cable made a clear and positive contribution to my system.

I now have a couple of thousand pounds worth of RA and Kimber cables in my system and I am happy. They make a difference to my ears, but as RA says, if you are not of the same opinion then return the cables within 60 days for a full reund! :)

HR100MCS, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Johnny

Johnny

The question is why shouldn't a cheap good ofc cable, costing around £10 suffice ?

This is aimed at those who already are using expensive cables.

and how can it make a worthwhile difference ?

Johnny, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Johnny

aquapiranha

hmmm

Johnny, you now have two threads questioning the validity of expensive cables, are we to assume that you have some kind of problem with them or the people who buy them?

Personally, I have never had a "night and day" experience with cables, but I will agree there are subtle differences, and if those differences are due to some kind of auto-suggestion, as long as the listener is happy, who cares?

Myself I use not inexpensive audioquest and QED cables, not because I think that the more expensive a cable is, the better it is, but more for my own peace of mind - sad really isn't it?

:confused:

aquapiranha, Jan 4, 2006
  8. Johnny

oedipus

Well, well, well. It sounds like your a bit of a cable believer yourself. OFC indeed....

Why waste a tenner? The interconnect cables that came for "free" with your DVD player are just the same as everything else surely? Of course, if your DVD player didn't come with free interconnects it might be one of the "audiophile" kind, or perhaps you believe in dedicated CD players, or separate transport/dac arrangements?

Please tell us about your system so that we can review the sanity of your choices.

oedipus, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Johnny

amir

cable has huge effect on :
    soundstage
    Separation of stream lines
    timing and coherence
    linearity on volume levels

amir, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Johnny

alexs2

Johnny....I think you've answered your own question in a sense,by saying that you can't hear the difference.....if you can't,then obviously there is no point in even spending a tenner as you put it,on cables.

The point is,in some instances,cables can make a difference to the sound,and you will note from the wording,that I did not say improve or enhance,but a difference,and if that suits your requirements,and your ears,then all well and good.

alexs2, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Johnny

rockhopper

Hi, I just wondered, why are Russ Andrews cables not appreciated? I was browsing through their brochure last night and am tempted to try some of their gear.

From your comment I take it they are not up to scratch? :confused:

rockhopper, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Johnny

greg Its a G thing

Without wanting to appear uncooperative, I would recommend you search the forum for previous, very long, threads rather than spark this debate once again, I dont think you or anyone else would gain from this thread going the way it is likely to go.

greg, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Johnny

ErikfH

:SLEEP:

ErikfH, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Johnny

zanash

Its not rocket science...you can build a cable for about £20 that will seriously upset many of the plus £200 brigade. If you want further detail please feel free to pm me. I will just say that there's an intresting article in guess where, the articles section on just this subject. It clearly defines a number of the questions you ask.

Also its intresting to note that here that everyone bar none heard differences, not everyone agreed which was the best cable.

zanash, Jan 4, 2006
  15. Johnny

Johnny

Greg, you don't know we won't gain anything, since you don't know what new comments will be made.

Nobody has answered the questions I asked :

how can they make a difference ?

I have already posted another topic on the room, and many of you agree that the room will distort the sound far more than cables.

In any case, how can you really hear what the cable is or isn't doing unless the room for example is right ?

because there are alot of people here wanting to either purchase or upgrade their equipment, and may be oblivious of what I have just stated.

Johnny, Jan 4, 2006
  16. Johnny

greg Its a G thing

I suspect, should you have time to locate and read the previous threads, that most and perhaps all the salient questions and all possible answers have been recorded therein.

Think along the lines of Chimps + Typewriter + 1,000,000,000 years = the works of Shakespeare type of thing.

greg, Jan 4, 2006
  17. Johnny

Johnny

greg do you beleive in cables ?

do you know how they can make a difference ?

Johnny, Jan 4, 2006
  18. Johnny

Johnny

even if this topic has already been debated, it does not mean that I am not allowed to start one again does it ?

Johnny, Jan 4, 2006
  19. Johnny

amir

in electromagnetic model cables have capasitance, inductance and resistance that they change frequency response and the most important is their ability for current transfer .
    making a cable for linear current transfer is not simple.
    don't think about over 10k $ cables. they think just to marketing but good cable is not cheap.
    I think WM can help you

amir, Jan 4, 2006
  20. Johnny

greg Its a G thing

I would argue there is not a valid purpose to start the debate again unless you have read through previous debates held here. If you'd prefer to start the debate again without reading the previous ones I'd say your taking the lazy option, but be my guest.

greg, Jan 4, 2006
Ask a Question